Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a rough couple weeks. Dh was off work for a week and his UI didn't come in because he had to open a new claim. I knew he was going to have that week off so in preparation stocked up a bit more the weeks before. So it had been officially 10 days since my last grocery shopping trip, whoo-hoo!!! I planned to spend around $100, which I told DH was going to happen. Good thing was because of Easter I was stocking up on a ton of stuff, plus much of the items I had some really good coupons for. I had completely run out of my freezer stash of milk, and had thawed the last gallon 2 days ago. I have WIC checks, but I really wanted to see how long I can go between shopping trips. I am pretty impressed. I also ran into a MEGA sale on milk, 1/2 gallons of skim milk(rbst free) .99 a piece. Well I bought 4 for my freezer. I also had a coupon on a Dairygold lactose free milk, for 1.00. They were on sale for 2.29, so I got that for 1.29
:. I just got so stocked up and am realizing that the more I shop like this the longer I can go betweeen shopping trips, of course the more I can save us. It would be really nice to spend $120 every couple weeks, than $100 every week. So this is my new plan. Unless of course there are some smoking sales that I have to have. I just was happy that I went that long and we just made do just fine, and much of it is because of my learning from here. I spent a *bit* more than I had anticipated, but I also bought a few extra things(like all the milk) and some deli roast beef because the stuff is on awesome sales. Let's see if I can do another 10 days, that woudl put me at the 22nd. Ok that's my goal.

Oh and my next stock up is on meat, because we are about out of much of our staples, but we need a mega meat sale, then I will be getting a cart full of meat.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have been doing this too! Instead of weekly shops, I do them biweekly now. It's more money per, but it's less money overall.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't know if I could go a month. I just like salad way too much. I swear when I do this it really is not that much more over all. I mean I purchased more than was on my list, but the things I added I would have anyway. So we'll see how my experiment works. I also don't think the once a month thing would work in terms of sale shopping, but maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really wish my farmer's market would start stocking milk. They have eggs, fruit and veggies. That would be perfect for me. 1x month mega shopping to get everything. Farmer's Market on Friday or Saturday to replenish fruits and veggies, milk and eggs. No temptation to buy other stuff. Hmmm ... maybe I should ask them about the milk?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
When my pantry is full, I can totally do this -- especially in CSA/garden season. All I *really* need fresh is milk, yogurt, eggs, and fruit.

Those are the things I buy, plus a buttload of whatever is on sale. For example, my cart had the above plus fifteen pounds of butter and five hams the other day.

I can only imagine what the cashier thought I was up to!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I bought 5 lbs of butter today, but I already had 3 in the freezer. I bought 4 gallons of milk(all 1/2 gallons), and a ton of stuff. I looked at my receipt and there were 75 items. I had 10 cans of 8oz tomato sauce, 6 can of olives(I should go get more though, DD already ate most of one can).

I am really stocked, I mean it's great. My meat situation is not all that super. I did buy a 3lb bag of chick breasts, but I need some other stuff to round things out. Please meat sale, I know it's due very soon. My Foodsaver is ready.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
When my pantry is full, I can totally do this -- especially in CSA/garden season. All I *really* need fresh is milk, yogurt, eggs, and fruit.

Those are the things I buy, plus a buttload of whatever is on sale. For example, my cart had the above plus fifteen pounds of butter and five hams the other day.

I can only imagine what the cashier thought I was up to!
I just posted about this in another forum. What are you going to do with your hams? Just defrost and eat at one time (one at a time, of course)? I ask b/c I bought 2 10# hams, froze one and ate one yesterday and have a LOT leftover. I was planning to get another 'cause they're such a good deal now, but I'm afraid I've hammed out my family!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
I just posted about this in another forum. What are you going to do with your hams? Just defrost and eat at one time (one at a time, of course)? I ask b/c I bought 2 10# hams, froze one and ate one yesterday and have a LOT leftover. I was planning to get another 'cause their such a good deal now, but I'm afraid I've hammed out my family!
I freeze hams all the time, they do very well. With the one you've cooked I would take freezer bags and cube some up and freeze them for things like quiche, potato soup or anything you'd use chopped ham for.

I have a great recipe that is for ham and broccoli bow ties, in a creamy alfredo-type sauce. It is so good, you can also do the same thing with peas or asparagus. It is really good.

I could never ham out my family, my DH loves ham like Homer Simpson

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Great job btw!

This week with the 2 holidays crammed into a weekend, it seemed anything and everything was on sale. I went last week when the sale started and then yesterday to finish up. 2 different stores but both had different sales etc plus different selections. So we stocked way up, I mean way up. The total was under $120 and that includes chicken, deli stuff etc. Also canned stuff and pastas were major sales so triple stocked up on that. I now have a half shelf in the freezer of ravolis and a full shelf in the pantry of pastas plus all the canned stuff.

I warnd DH of the overstocked pantry and he said, he had already seen it! The pantry stuff will last about 2 plus months.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
so glad that works for you! It seems like people find either lengthening or shortening the time between trips improves economy. We are the opposite of you...we spend way less and eat better when we make more frequent trips. 2X/week trips at $50/trip gets us better,healthier, fresher food than 1 $100 trip......I've considered switching to a "daily marketing" even!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I used to do daily shopping and it so doesn't work for me, but I also always had cash in hand and bought whatever was appealing at the moment.

I am probably not going to make my goal of the 22nd, due to the fact that my store has some sales on meat that I want to get in on, so I will. I may go tonight because my friend will be watching DD for a few hours while I go get a massage. Pork chops are 1.49 and steaks are 2.98 a lb, and we are missing those from the freezer currently. My back-up freezer is getting kinda bare, and I know it is good to wait and replenish. The time is now. I also have one "fast food" that we eat and that's frozen pizzas, they are on sale and I have really good coupons, so I guess I better stock up on those too. It's ok, I just keep ahead of the curve this way.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Get over not making your stretch it goal, you are doing so well with stocking up right now. I noticed this week beef is really on sale. Also pork. I wont be buying meat, but I am always studying the ads so I know what is on sale.

Keep in mind you may HAVE to go a week without a grocery trip or whatever in the future or near future and with all this planning, it might not be a big deal since you will be prepared. KWIM?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.