Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I had a conversation with a good friend of mine who knows that I plan to homeschool/unschool her children. She referred to this decision as strict. This is a sentiment that I get from her alot as well as from other friends and family. This is a sentiment that I just don't get.<br><br>
To me, unschooling is the opposite of strict. It's allowing children to freely learn at their own pace, on their own and of their own choosing. That is the antithesis of strict--it is so lenient. Lenient is the best sense. It's freedom, true and true.<br><br>
Does anyone else get this alot? I truly think that people don't understand homeschooling/unschooling. Ecletic homeschooling and unschooling just seem so opposite to the image that these ppl hold in their brains. (This is why I'm wary to call what I plan to do with my children "homeschooling" because it conjures up an image of school at home...children sitting at desks in a closed in room with their mother closely by monitoring....)<br><br>
Any thoughts or stories?<br><br>
Kylix

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
We will often say "they learn at home," instead of "we're homeschooling." In our home beginning "schooling" when ds became interested was just a natural extension of what we'd always done. It's no more strict than our parenting is.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've received a considerable amount of criticism for wanting to homeschool my children. I smile and interject laughter when dealing with their comments. You'd think I was breaking the law from their point of view!!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I guess I would consider myself strict but it has nothing to do with homeschooling or why we homeschool or how we homechool (ecclectic/unschooling). People just don't get it and they assume that the only reason we homeschool is so that we don't have to give up one ounce of our athourity. That is just such a falsehood. there is more freedom in the way my children learn and how they spend thier daytime hours than in any other part of thier lives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts