Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run these diapers through 5 cycles of super hot water, and the suds are still coming out?<br><br>
Typically, I use very little detergent, and I run the diapers through 2 complete cycles of super hot water. I use Purex detergent.<br><br>
Am I doing something wrong? How in the world to I get this stink / suds out?<br><br>
If I switch from pockets to prefolds, will I have to strip as often? It seems I am running lots of cycles in the wash for these dipes. As much as I love them, my electric bill is beginning to reflect it, I fear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Based upon what you have said, you might not need to strip as much if you make sure to use a little detergent as possible.<br><br>
If you have a top loader, it is easy to discover how little detergent you really need.<br><br>
Here's how. First cold rinse your dipes.<br><br>
Next fill washer with hot water and let it start to agitate. Now add your detergent, little by little... like 1/2 teaspoon at a time. When you see a small amount of suds forming, then you have enough detergent. For me, 1/2 tsp is usually enough (depending upon which detergent I am using).<br><br>
I then do two cold water rinses.<br><br>
You may want to consider using a detergent that rinses out easily, like Charlies.<br><br>
However, if you use minimal amounts of detergent, and rinse properly, you most likely won't have the buildup.<br><br>
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
We use Purex Free and Clear and I only use about 1/2 inch of detergent in the cup that comes as the lid. This seems to be enough to wash dipes. I do the detergent in a cold wash then a second wash (hot this time) with no det.<br><br>
We did have stink problems when we first moved into our house b/c of the ridiculous amount of detergent the previous owners had used in the washer. I had to wash about 6 times (not adding any detergent of my own) until all the soap bubbles went away.<br><br>
If you're looking to switch detergents, I think pinstripesandpolkadots website has a good list about which detergents are good or bad.<br><br>
Not sure about your synthetic vs. cotton (prefold) question. We use a variety of fabrics and I wash them all together no problems.<br><br>
Some mamas have had luck stripping with Dawn. You could probably do a search on that and find a lot of good tips.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Oh, I know it's sacreligious, but you could try a few drops of bleach every few cycles to keep the stink at bay once your dipes are stripped. I use a scoop of oxyclean (no chlorine) with the reg. amt. of detergent about every other cycle and we've not had a stink problem since.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with the bleach.<br><br>
Also, could it be possible your washer has buildup? I thought my diapers had buildup once, but it was my washer. I would suggest to deep clean your washer. Add 1/2 to 1 gallon of white vinegar and run a hot wash/warm rinse cycle. Then add 1 cup of bleach and do a hot wash/warm rinse. When you add the vinegar look for suds. If you see them then that could be where you bubbles are coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts