Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- What I have learned here about stripping/ build-up (feel free to add or edit

1. Build-up is bad and can stink stink stink.

2. Culprits may include front loaders, hard water, vinegar, baking soda, "free and clear" detergents.

3. Fixes include Calgon and very hot water, Bac out, sun drying, Sensiclean, Sportswash, boiling if possible, Tide and the dreaded bleach.

4. Lots of rinses are needed (until it is clear clear clear)

Anything else?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
i wouldn't blame front loaders at all, you can get buildup with any machine.

i've never had stinky builup in the year i've cd with my fl. i think the biggest culpret tends to be hardwater, not rinsing out well.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sm3247
One thing that seems to have solved my buildup problem is homemade laundry detergent. I haven't been using it that long, but it's a low sudsing soap and doesn't appear to leave any buildup.

Wish me luck.
OT a little but how do you make your own detergent? Is it hard and does it work well?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
OT a little but how do you make your own detergent? Is it hard and does it work well?
I used to use this all the time before I had a baby (and traded in all free time). I made this a few weeks ago specifically for diapers because the buildup was getting unbearable. We'd been using Era because it works so well for stains from life with a baby, but it just wouldn't rinse out. I've used this laundry recipe or a version of it for regular laundry and it works fine for most laundry. I like it because it's very inexpensive, I know what's going into it, and has very little packaging.

It's actually really easy:

Grate one bar of soap (I use fels naptha because I had some and it works well for laundry but I think you can use any kind) and dissolve it in some hot water.

In a separate container add 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda (not baking soda) to about a gallon of hot water. Stir till dissolved. Add the soap mixture and stir until mixed. It may become lumpy, but if you have a stick blender, it works really well to get the lumps out. I also added about a cup of Calgon and 20 drops of Tea tree oil for disinfectant purposes.

I've seen versions of this recipe all over the web and there are all kinds of things you can add or not. I include the calgon because we have hard water and the TTO because I use it on diapers and like the disinfectant quality. You can add other essential oils and use just about any kind of soap that you want. I think the only essentials are Washing Soda and soap. You can also add more or less water depending on how concentrated you want it.

FYI, borax and washing soda come in green and yellow boxes, respectively, and can be found in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.