Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing Google and MDC searches is coming up with too many "how to strip diapers" hits to get to the "how to strip washers" hits. My washing machine needs to be stripped. If I fill it up with hot water and wash (nothing in the washer except water), I have suds. So obviously the washer needs stripping, and this is probably the reason why even using Sportswash, my diapers were having suds after 3 hot/hot/hot washes (hot wash/hot rinse/hot extra rinse - 3 rounds of all of those). I turned off my cold water valve and stuck the machine on the warm/warm setting to get the hot/hot/hot stuff, as recommended by a fellow CD'er.

So how do you go about stripping a washing machine? I'm guessing it probably involves vinegar, which I'm out of, of course.

Also, DH has washed rags in my washer with no detergent... his rags were used to clean/wax his car. He just washes them on hot a million times with no detergent or anything in there. That's probably not helping my situation, although I haven't had any repelling fleece issues or anything - just buildup stink. Should I run some Simple Green through the wash after he washes his rags?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Don't know about the rags.... Charlie's Soap might be good for you to use, it is good for stripping machines. Also, MIL, told me the other day that 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of vinegar and the juice of 2 lemons is supposed to clean out a machine. Good luck...

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
What if you have a front loader? To the best of my knowledge, my washer fills based on how many clothes are in there. If I run it empty, I don't know if I'll get any water at all!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carrin, I'm planning to try out Charlie's Soap as soon as I run out of my current detergent (which unfortunately may take a while).

Jill, thank you for that link!!! That's exactly what I was looking for.
I knew some diapering sites had the info, but couldn't remember which one, and there are so many good ones out there!

Off to buy some vinegar today...

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I'm going to try that too....just for the fun of it!!!!!
:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanana
What if you have a front loader? To the best of my knowledge, my washer fills based on how many clothes are in there. If I run it empty, I don't know if I'll get any water at all!
I was wondering about this, too. I also have a FLer.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I used charlie's soap to wash my machine with (full load, nothing in it) and it seemed to help. I've done the diaper hyena method but the Charlie's soap was a lot less effort. I don't like Charlie's for diaper washing though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanana
The instructions for my front loading LG say to run a hot wash every now and then with no laundry, to keep the machine clean. I do this every now and then with 1/4 gallon or so of white vinegar, and the machine is sooooooo clean afterward

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I did it this evening for the fun of it.... I think the Charlie's really had been helping, because not much of any residue/suds came out....just a minimal amount. But, that nasty mildew smell seems to be gone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.