It's part of my job to test products (I won't lie-I love it), and I realized that I want to bring my personal favorites into the blog more, because I want to share this unique exposure with you. I could never possibly fit it all into my two magazine pages every two months, and yet I walk around each day, making choices about what to eat, wear, buy, give as a gift, plain old use, that are informed by my direct experiences with the products that land on my desk (and some that I just encounter in life). These blog entries won't be themed as a rule, but this one happens to be: themed on the care and maintenance of a happy belly. Y'know, digestion.

GVOKefir284x400BlueberryPom

Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free Kefir in Blueberry Pom Acai:

This is so delicious that when I drank it for the first time, my eyeballs rolled back in my head. And, no lactose! (I'm sensitive to it).

homepage_edison

Align Daily Probiotic Supplement:

Have I mentioned recently that I have a sensitive tummy? And I'm not alone. Moms often find digestive health to be a challenge. Align is great because you only have to take it once a day, and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. I started taking it less than a week ago and I feel the difference already. There was a lot to correct, trust me.

citrusbitters_8oz

Urban Moonshine Bitters

Urban Moonshine (besides being a great name) is a small family business in Burlington, VT. These certified organic bitters can be mixed with water, or just taken neat (I do both). Taking bitters activates digestive secretions-including saliva, stomach acid, and bile. Not only has it helped me to digest my food; it has also kept me very regular. : ) And my friend Tej applies it topically, too-she swears by it to cure a multitude of ailments.

It comes in larger bottles, small vials, and a little purse spray…so I never have to be without it. Portability is key for me!

As soon as I go naming a theme, I realize…I need to mention

Dr. Praeger's Broccoli Pancakes
broccolipancakes.JPG

I do not always have something homemade at the ready at every possible minute. I also do not feel like making anything healthy and homemade when I have low blood sugar! My goal is to have stopgap foods around to serve as a bridge between crazy 4:30pm hunger and the graceful state in which I can actually make a good, nutritious dinner. And I found one.

Oh, how convenient. Oh, how delicious. Oh, how versatile. They remind me of knishes, but they're small and dainty, yet filling. I heat one up, and eat it with a bunch of fresh broccoli. Or you could have it with a poached egg…or by itself…It is also nice cut up and eaten in a salad. They're kind of like dumplings, kind of like potato pancakes…but extremely healthy and light…yet comfort-foody.

What are your

a) favorite digestive support products

and/or

b) quick, healthy store-bought bites that save you?

Bookmark and Share

Subscribe to the Mothering.com Blogs Feed

This entry was posted
on Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 at 5:22 am and is filed under review on the run, the flavor.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.