Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong board, if so, can you tell me where I can get info on strollers??

MY DH and I love the chicco cortina travel system... anyone have any experience or suggestions for strollers??

Thank you!

Hugs

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well before our first we purchased a Zooper (Jazz), and were given a Kool Stride Jogging stroller. We later purchased a Zooper umbrella stroller. The only one I can recommend out of the 3 is the the Zooper umbrella stroller- but it really isn't good for infants. In retrospect, I wish I would have bit the bullet and gotten the BOB revolution with the infant seat attachment bar- which turns it into a "travel system". We are planning on selling our Zooper Jazz on craigslist and buying a BOB revolution Duallie this time. It has nothing but superb reviews. That is just my opinion of course, and what works best for our active lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
When we found out we were pregnant again. My mother bought us a Phil and Ted's stroller with the extra double kit. I used it with DD (6years old) and DS (just before he turned 2) when we were visiting her down in Florida. It was a joy to push. I love the versatility of the multiple seating and how the seat completely folds down into a bassinet for the early infant period. Total splurge, and I'm not much of a stroller person, but when you need one it comes in handy. I've actually been jonesing for it (my mom is bringing up when she comes back for the summer in a couple of weeks)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don't know about the chicco travel system, but in general I think travel systems are huge and bulky.

we did the graco safeseat and the snap and go base for the infant stage. A snug ride will also fit in that frame and its like $60 or so.

then we got a good umbrella stroller (maclaren volo). It is awesome, lightweight, can be steered with one hand, and collapsed and put away with one hand. sooo convenient.

we have a Bob sport utility for going from home to the park (since our sidewalks in this neighborhood are not handicapped accessible and we do a ton of curb jumping).

I have a hard enough time maneuvering a small umbrella stroller around at a store. I can't imagine how people deal with those huge things.

XOXO
B

·
Registered
434 Posts
We used the Maclaren Techno for our last baby and he is still using it when needed (he is 2 1/2). DH liked the handles (he doesn't like the spongy handles...he has sensory issues) and it reclined so we could use it from birth. We love it. However this time we got a new one that has a carrycot, so it's a little more bulky with the carry cot, but I love the idea of seeing the baby when not in the sling....won't know if this babe is into the sling until he/she arrives! It is a micralite fastfold w/carrycot and maneuvres nicely but has the spongy handles that DH doesn't love, the sacrifices our DH's make
We are also looking to buy a double jogger, but I want a jogger that is actually made for jogging, can't spend the money on a BOB, even though I want to!! We spent a lot of time trying out strollers when I was pg last time, we FINALLY agreed on the one we ended up with.....I was so tired of stroller shopping by the end LOL

Warmly,
Erin
EDD #5 9-15-09

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
we have the chicco cortina travel system. My guy is 5 weeks old and the car seat is so heavy! Overall its a nice system though. The stroller is fine for walks and such, but a jogging stroller or something with 3 big wheels would be much easier and nice to push I think. It is nice to just snap the carseat into the stroller though.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Just a thought...consider holding off on a stroller. Ours ended up being a huge waste of money. We bought a travel system. Used the car seat but to this day (DS is now almost 2) we've used the stroller maybe 5 times and all but one of those was totally unnecessary (I did strain my back one day and it was useful for walking to a friend's house). We just used a sling when he was little (and now occasionally still use a sling). Anyway, just my two cents

·
Registered
882 Posts
I got a BOB Revolution off Craiglist, and I'm going to order the infant attachment bar (which I think comes w/the cupholder thing too, which will work for an older child) and for now just snap the infant carseat into the BOB.

In a few months, once baby can sit better, I'll probably go w/a Maclaren Volo or something similar. I loved the one I had w/DS. (I gave it to my sister and she uses it now)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I bought a Bugaboo Gecko with DS and our Peg Perego car seat (along with about three other seats) click into it. I loved the bassinet for the early months and it worked great for traveling. Very sturdy stroller, pushes like a dream, one handed, so wonderful. I will NOT be getting rid of that stroller until we are DONE DONE with kids. Very light and folds up easily, IMO.

Now that both are going to be pretty close in age, we'll be getting a BOB revolution duallie 12" with the car seat attachment. (I plan on doing one of those stroller fit classes) and the BOB's push really beautifully too (although I wish Bugaboo made a double). Honestly, I really think quality can be seen in some stroller systems.

·
Registered
783 Posts
We bought a Graco travel system (actually, my in-laws bought it for us) when I was pregnant with ds1. It was a waste of money, imo. With both boys, I used the sling/ ergo/ mei tai/ wrap until they were a year or older (still using it all the time with 22 month old ds2). We got rid of it, and bought a Peg Perego Pliko3 (I think?). It was great. It has a stand on the back for ds1 to stand on while ds2 is sitting in it. I don't think I will ever have a use for a double stroller thanks to that stand. Granted, some companies make stands that attach to any strollers, and assuming this is your first babe, you're probably not thinking about that, so I'm just rambling for no reason. Anyways. I second the pp's recommendation of holding off until after the babe is here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We bought the Chicco Cortina travel system 2 years ago, and I still think it's one of the smartest buys we made for the baby!

I love the ease of use for the infants seat, it's nicer features- the infant insert/head support, the ease of adjusting the height, easy to get the infant in and out AND get a snug fit, every time. But yes, it is heavy. Especially when you give birth to a 9.5 lb baby.

I also love the stroller. It's handles easy, the handles adjust for differently-heighted (if that's a word) parents, and it has held up 2 years of abuse of being put in and out of the car, countless trips to the park (that doesn't have sidewalks to get to the playground so you end up going through the grass), many, many walks on pavement, sidewalks and gravel, and it still works great (though it's starting to look like it's seen better days...but it's mostly cosmetic, nothing a good cleaning wouldn't cure!). It's also easy to fold, and the parent tray is great for your keys, phone, and beveridge of choice. The toddler snack tray has come in handy too, and it snaps out so you can wash it if it gets too gross. Also, the whole front bar comes off, so as the child gets older and wants to get in and out more, it's easier.

The only thing I would improve is the sun shade. It's okay, but compared to my friend's zooper waltz, it's skimpy.

As for the usefulness of a travel system, I really think it depends on the mother/family and lifestyle. I was on the fence on how much I would really use it as a travel system. It turns out my son didn't like to "travel" much while the infant seat was in the stroller. He preferred either to be carried (LOVED my moby wrap too!) or ride in the stroller. I live in a cold winter climate, and while I wasn't much of a mall person before I had my son, I found myself loving what the mall had to offer in winter- a great place to come in winter to get out of the house, go to target, B&N have lunch, only have to get my son out of the car once- and you stayed warm while doing it and even if you wear the baby (which I did most of the time), the stroller makes a nice place to put your coats, bags (especially when Christmas shopping), etc.

That said...my son outgrew his infant seat by Thanksgiving (like I said, big baby...was 23 lbs by Christmas @ 6.5 months). I know there's a Chicco infant seat that goes up to 32 lbs now. IF I could go back in time, that's the one I'd get now. Because, if you live somewhere where it gets cold in winter, it is really nice to be able to get bundled up inside, and only have to worry about putting the infant seat in it's place (even if it weighs a ton w/ your 20lb child in it).

Graco's snugride carseat (it too has a model up to 32 lbs), gets top safety reviews, so another option would be to get that infant seat and the cortina stroller...separately (because personally, I think the cortina is a great stroller at a decent price). I just reccomended that option to my brother-in-law and his wife...but she was concerned that the infant seat and stroller wouldn't match. If that's an issue for you too, I guess that wouldn't be an option.

Anyways, sorry this is such a novel! Hope my experiences help you somewhat!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got the UppaBaby Vista stoller. As of yet I have only used it for my cat
who seems to think it is his stroller but I foresee it getting lots of use. I definitely plan on wearing my baby frequently but on long walks/mall trips etc this will be awesome. The bassinet part is really nice and both the seat and the bassinet can either face you or face out without compromising the wheel bar height for walking. It's also super easy to fold up and the wheel are big enough and solid to use for "off-roading".

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I second the idea of perhaps waiting to find out whether or not your baby will be a stroller baby or not. We bought the Peg Perrego Pliko P3 stroller and the infant carseat that goes with it. Even though the infant rides facing you, DS HATED being in the carseat until he was about 1 1/2. I can't tell you how many times I would be walking around the mall, pushing an empty stroller while wearing DS in a sling. The stroller was nice for carrying shopping bags and my drink, but I'm pretty sure I could have bought a much cheaper stroller to serve that purpose.

Since DS is older now, I get more use out of the stroller and really like it. I think it is a great combination of sturdy and lightweight. It is easy to push and guide and seems to ride pretty smoothly. It is easy to fold up, has adjustable handles (which comes in handy for DH, who is 6'3") and lots of nice little extras like the folding hood, reclining seat and removeable snack tray.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I love seeing what people have to say abot different systems and brands. I bought a Graco Travel system that has been my life saver. I could not use a sling bc of serious back pain. Maybe thios baby will be different but for now I have a 33 1/2 lb 20 mo old that loves his stroller and it goes everywhere with us. Yes it is "big" but in the words of my husband "it pushes itself". I was also given a simple little umbrella stroller that was like walking an army tank. It was awful.

My advice: Take your time, make sure you like what you are about to buy (how it folds, pushes, etc) and then use it! Well unless you prefer the sling/meitei/wrap. If so, lucky you!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Although I plan to wear the baby a lot, I know that I'll really value a stroller because I walk so much. We bought a Maxi Cosi Foray. I chose this one primarily because the car seat that you can buy (turning it into a travel system) has excellent safety ratings. Also, it was one of the few strollers which allows you to switch the toddler seat around so that it's facing the person who's pushing it (good for attachment and the baby feels 'safe', apparently). It was more expensive than a lot of them (with the car seat we spent over $500) but it was cheaper than the bugaboos. We have it now and it's not too bulky or difficult to use.

Zubee

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
This was the most amazing stroller for us and we were so glad to have it, we used it until the infant car seat was too small. I like to have somewhere to carry everything and it's hard for me to sling because of my back but this extremely light, fits in the back seat of a Hyundai and no transfer of baby from seat to stroller so it is as convenient as a travel system. We do tend to go out a lot and do really long walks and I'm definitely getting one this time too, it has a huge basket underneath and the baby faces you.
http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRide.../dp/B0007KMUH4

After this one was too small, I used a jogger all the time because of the easy wheels and pushing over any bumps and she still loves it for long dog walks and stuff where she wants to walk part of the time and ride the rest.

Good luck!
Deb

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I had a "snap and go" with my first. He outgrew the infant carseat (too TALL) by they time he was 4mos. I sold the whole thing. I got a Maclaren Triumph on sale (previous year's color) when he was 3mos old. Also, he LOVED to sit up and would strain to get upright when in the snap-and-go system.

Now for the baby due any day, I have a handed down lie-flat fancy stroller that seems to be a pain in the neck to push to me but I'm sure I'll use it when I do need a stroller at first. I also have 2 handed down infant seats and a handed down convertible seat, and I am relieved not to have to spend all that $$ on stuff that I doubt will last for very long (other than the convertible seat).

I baby carried a lot but a stroller was good for me. I hated it being big though, so as soon as he could go in the smaller stroller I went for it. I think a lot depends on your baby's size and personality, on your lifestyle, stuff like whether you use a car, truck, or public transpo, how much storage you have in your house (not much for us!) and how much and on what kind of surfaces you actually walk, etc.

I also walk a lot, walk fairly long distances, and my baby was BIG, 20lbs by 6mos and I really couldn't babywear for hours at a time when we were out and about. I didn't have a car for 4 months and I live in a very car-dependent place, so the distances I had to go for basics were pretty long, and I couldn't carry groceries for our family AND a 20+lb baby! He would sleep in the stroller, etc. It was great to have a stroller, but once he could walk we really started getting him to go on his own power as much as possible. Once he was 3 I stopped having him in a stroller entirely unless he was sleeping or we were going over a mile each way. No way I'll have a double or probably even a step thing on the back of ours since he is almost 4 1/2 and full of energy.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'll make it brief....this is all based on personal experience as stroller junkie....I personally would buy USED Peg Perego and BOB strollers before I would use brand-new Graco or any Dorel brand stroller. I have 2 used Peg strollers and a BOB Revolution Duallie (bought for $175, had been used once). I also have a brand new Graco Duoglider (bought on clearance at Target..$30) which is piece of junk. Its awful and poorly constructed. I'm going back to my almost 10 year old Peg Perego Tender double stroller. The BOB is a dream and I feel blessed to own one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Although I plan to wear the baby a lot, I know that I'll really value a stroller because I walk so much. We bought a Maxi Cosi Foray. I chose this one primarily because the car seat that you can buy (turning it into a travel system) has excellent safety ratings. Also, it was one of the few strollers which allows you to switch the toddler seat around so that it's facing the person who's pushing it (good for attachment and the baby feels 'safe', apparently). It was more expensive than a lot of them (with the car seat we spent over $500) but it was cheaper than the bugaboos. We have it now and it's not too bulky or difficult to use.

Zubee
We had the Foray and loved it. It was easy to maneuver and fit in the back of our station wagon with plenty of room to spare. The only problem we had was in the Northwest we used crushed stone on the roads in winter and the front tires got pretty chewed up. They are replaceable and actually the company replaced the whole stroller. If we were city dwellers it would have been ideal, it is a bit giggly on gravel roads so I am searching for something with 4 air tires.
I love that the seat can face the driver, is generously sized and will grow with our child. It comes with a super rain fly.
I think it was a great stroller and will go back to it if we can't find something comparable with 4 air tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.