Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i have a 12 mo. and i am due in february with baby #2. i will wear baby 2 until it's too hot here anymore (i'm in south texas) and i'm looking for a stroller for 2 kids. i want a tandem - not a side by side, and price really isn't an issue, but i want something we'll use (when we do use it). my son doesn't sleep in strollers, so that's not a big deal - we're thinking of the Joovy Caboose ( http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Caboose-.../dp/B000P24FRW ) and i'm wondering if anyone else has a stroller like this with a kid the same age (he will ride in the front seat until the baby is probably 6 months or so - then he will be 2 YO). will he be big enough (old enough) to comfortably ride in the back seat of that stroller or should we be looking at a stroller with "regular" stroller seats?

thanks for your help!!
:

· Registered
529 Posts
With your ds being still so young, I don't know if I'd go for the joovy caboose (even though it is awesome and that's probably what I will get when I have #2--but my kids will probably be closer to 4 years apart). If you really think he'd do well on the bench seat that could maybe work, but if I were you with 2 under 2 I think I'd go with a real double. It does really depend on your particular child though. I know my 2 yr old wouldn't do so well with the bench/walking option quite yet for longer excursions.

I REALLY recommend the contours options tandem...It has soo many "options" haha. You can explore it here http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2646209

I know a few people that have this and love it and I've gotten to play with it and it's great.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have thought about the kolcraft too, but it's pretty heavy... (like 47lbs or so) so that is a concern for me. i guess maybe i'll have to go somewhere and try them out or something. i don't want him to walk so much - i want him to be able to be comfortable on the bench seat, so i'm not sure if he would be, or if there is a way to make it more comfortable. and - we don't go out for long excursions. maybe the longest would be a couple hours at a time.

· Registered
529 Posts
Yeah that is definitely a downside to that stroller and a lot of doubles..

Hopefully you'll have a lightweight kid that you can carry for over a year, then the caboose would make more sense IMO..

· Registered
148 Posts
i second the pp recommendation re: phil and teds. especially if price isn't really an issue. i was just in boston this summer and those phil and teds strollers were everywhere. they look really sturdy and great, and don't take up any more room than a single stroller, but they have really good wheels to handle the weight load of two kids plus all their stuff. all the kids i saw that were riding around in phil and teds strollers looked happy/were sleeping, fwiw.

good luck!

· Registered
241 Posts
Mine were only 16 months apart and I bought a regular double thinking that my son would need a "real" seat for a longer period. And while that was true the first couple of months, by the time he was 2, the Joovy would have been awesome. In fact, a friend of mine has her kids the same age apart as mine and I thought she was nuts to buy the Joovy and I went with the Graco Quattro Tour. But when our older kids were 2 and our little ones could sit in a seat, I had total stroller envy -- her older son was able to get off/on the stroller with ease while mine was stuck in the front. And her DD was loving life in the front of the Joovy while my youngest was straining in the back seat to see everything up front. Seriously, the Joovy was sooooo much better.

Anyway, I couldn't justify yet another stroller purchase, so we made do with the Graco Quattro Duo (which I loved for the short time I used it) until DS was more independent. By the time my son was 2.5, I stopped using the double stroller altogether and put my DD into an umbrella stroller while my DS walked. Now that my oldest is 3.5 and my DD is 2, I rarely use the umbrella stroller and they both walk the majority of the time.

My friend that bought the Joovy is still using her stroller ... it had more longevity than my Graco for sure.

HTH!

· Registered
148 Posts
My only question about Phil and Ted's is whether the kiddo in back would get frustrated with his/her inability to see out. I guess you put the infant in the back bc those things are not as important to an infant?

ETA and what about shading for the kiddo in the back?

· Registered
877 Posts
We have a baby jogger double and I love it. The baby could ride in it starting at a mere 6 weeks. It has a weight limit of 75lbs each seat and a higher headshade than most which helps for bigger kids. It was pricy but since I only use a stroller to go on jogs and walks to the park, it was worth it. I found using a sling and having the other one walk worked best. Well, actually, my kids refused to use strollers except the jogging stroller. I'd wait until baby is here becuase some kids aren't stroller kids.

· Registered
529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by citymomstl View Post
My only question about Phil and Ted's is whether the kiddo in back would get frustrated with his/her inability to see out. I guess you put the infant in the back bc those things are not as important to an infant?

ETA and what about shading for the kiddo in the back?
That is my question too, the second seat sits soooo low...Do any of you that have that phil and Ted's have a problem with that?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a double jogger that also attaches to my bike - i'm thinking we might go for the joovy. i had a look at the kolcraft again today and i just don't think my little guy would want to ride in it once he's older - he's very "independent"

thanks for all your help!

also, i was worried about the kiddo in the back being able to see from the phil and teds too!

· Registered
5,311 Posts
I have been looking at doubles, too. THe P&T is cool, but the back seat (for your bigger child) has a weight limit of only 33 lbs. That is, um, now for us.
I don't really feel comfortable with a baby in the back/bottom seat, so there you go. If you have a bigger first child, that might be an issue.

I've been looking at BOB dualies, but they are side by side. They manuever very, very well, though.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
The Kolcraft is a bear to fold up since you have to remove one of the seats to fold it, and even then it's heavy and cumbersome.

I looked at the P&T's but I wasn't comfortable having the baby down there and my toddler is already too big for the bottom seat.

I already have a Maclaren Twin that I really like, but you can't do two heavyweights in there or it won't move - they're serious about weight limits. I plan on using it with them both for the mall for quick trips.

I also bought a Graco tandem used from my doula for more heavyweight stuff. It has more storage and my toddler can easily get himself in and out from the front (also reclining) seat with the snack tray removed. I figured this way I'd have the advantage of the jump seat style with the ability to recline the seat if my toddler wanted a nap at the same time as the baby. I wanted the Quattro, but the $50 I gave my doula for her pristine stroller was much nicer.

WHen Schnoop has the baby planet doubles again for $100, I plan on getting one.

· Registered
750 Posts
i'm not sure about the front seat on the joovy ultralight...it seems like it hardly reclines, so for the baby naps are out. and no sunshade for the back.

ETA: maybe good for like 2 and 4 year old kids...but not a baby, IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.