Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should start out by asking what do you do with your kids during the day?? My son is 21mo. He really just does whatever his wants all day. We have breakfast he plays till lunch then he has nap and then back up to play again....... So it's hard when we visit church, family ect. he's all over the place (cause that's what he's use to) Is this routine ok? Or should I be doing more of a scheduled routine? Keep in mind this is a boy who NEVER sits down for more than 10 seconds
If I should be doing a more structured thing, I am so open to suggestions!! I've asked some friends & family & they say he's still young and I shouldn't worry about it to just let him be. So then I feel like maybe I expect too much from him? First time Mom can you tell????

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
What kind of structure are you thinking? Like he needs to have a certain "block time," a certain "story time," a certain "coloring time," etc? If that's what you're thinking, I'd say no way. Let him just play. He's still only one year old.

Even my 3 1/2 year old can't sit still when we are at the temple. She desperately wants to, but she can't. Really, how can a 3 year old, or a one year old, or even a five or six year old, sit still and pay attention to things they don't understand and which are over their heads? If you can bring small toys or books to let your son look at during the service, try that. If you can't do that, I think it would be kind to your son to let him go play in the nursery. At one year old, playing is what he should be doing, not having to sit on a bench for forever (which is what it feels like to him) with no end in sight (since he can't conceptualize time).

Namaste!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my head I felt like I was doing the right thing but if I should be doing more I want to! YKWIM.... I just want whats best, like all moms. You both have given me a feeling of ease! I knew I would find what I needed here! It's very hard when almost all of my son friends are soooo different than him. He is so out going and not affraid of anything! Where as the other childern are either very attached to mom or very attentive. I know all childern are different.. I can't help but to think maybe I should be doing more.... Well I'll go take my chill pill and quit worry about trying to a 21mo to act like an adult
He will be grown before I know it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.