Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only really tough subject for me during pregnancy. I've learned to cope with all the other stuff, but weight gain is still the one that I cannot get a handle on.

Here's why: I have gained 50lbs, 70 lbs, and 65 lbs, with my boys. I lost it all with some effort the first two times and then held onto 25 lbs the last time. I have always started at a healthy, slim weight when falling pregnant, but this time I am overweight.

My pregnancies have always been easy, low risk, and healthy. My babies are good sized, nearly 9 labs, and my births are fast and easy. But, everyday living with 70 extra pounds is awful. Hard. Depressing. I feel disgusting instead of beautiful. I resent when people take photos of me. I don't talk much about it in real life, but let me say I am ready to try my damn best to gain less this time. I have tried every time.

My dh thinks I am crazy for thinking this time will be any different. But I am convinced that even though I eat better than most, that I've just got to be totally controlled and disciplined about eating, especially sweets and grains, or I will just blow up again.

I hope to keep myself accountable here and in real life, at home. I've lost 8 labs in the first tri and just gained back 2.5, so I'm down about 5 lbs at 13 weeks. I really want to try to only gain 30 labs, a nearly impossible feat for me!!!

How are the rest of you thinking about weight gain? What are your strategies and diet to try to gain a healthy amount?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is something that I've been worried about as well. At my first appointment, they told me that my weight was too high and that I can only gain about 11-20 lbs but preferably only gain 15. I used to be very small but struggled with depression and gained 50 lbs and I'm so embarrassed about the stretch marks that came along with it.

So far I've been trying to stay away from junk food (even though it's all I crave), and been getting in the proper nutrients that I was lacking before. I have lost 10 lbs so far but I am so scared that I won't be able to stick with it. I'm one of those people that if I have one bad thing to eat, I gain 5 lbs.

What's been really helping me so far is tracking what I eat, this way if I see something I don't like on my list, it motivates me to eat better the next day.

Here's to hoping we can keep motivated and disciplined!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm a petite person and started out more underweight than with any of my kids and I'm still terrified of gaining too much. The least amount I've put on is 19 lbs and the most I've put on is 32 lbs. That might sound piddly, but I think it is important to know that it really isn't the number as much as how your confidence and self-esteem is affected. According to the weight charts, it would "acceptable" for me to gain 40 lbs, maybe even 50, because of my pre-pregnancy weight. But I refuse to do that. So really, I'm happy with about 25 lbs. I think to manage that appropriately, my goal is to make sure I eat the adequate protein I need daily (about 70 grams), remember that I am eating for two, not twice as much, and that it is GOOD to move during pregnancy. Sitting a lump at the computer isn't going to be good for me or baby.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think I have already gained 10 lbs this pregnancy. My last pregnancy I think I gained around 40. I was even seeing a nutionist. One day I left from seeing her just in tears she was way tough on me about my weight gain. I just get really hungry. It is hard to control. The nutritionist I saw before wouldn't give me a number of calories a day. Just said eat when I am hungry. But she also said from my food tracking I was getting way too many extra calories somedays. It is hard. My ob now said ideally max 25 lbs gain. I am gonna try to keep it down. But if I gain a little more that is okay. I just will have to try extra hard to loose it after. Especially because I hadn't lost all the baby weight from my last baby due in Sept of last year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my first in 2010 and after working hard at dieting and exercise, still have held on to 20 extra pounds from that weight now after 2 kids. I gained 50 with my first and then 35 with my second. I am trying to stay healthy while still giving in to what I am craving. I am craving carbs so I am trying to pick healthier carbs. I am trying to load up on veggies and fruits when I can tolerate them. I am of the mindset that my body is telling me what it needs but I just need to find the best possible option. Now that I am at 13 weeks, my energy is starting to pick up finally so I am hoping to get more exercise in. Even if it is just walking a mile and doing a few weights.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Liladancing, I too get really hungry during pregnancy! And I have eaten totally different with each pregnancy: ds1 I ate the standard American diet, ds 2 I was vegan (for 7 years) and ds3 I had transitioned 6 MO prior to pg to eating Paleo, so I was super healthy starting out (and a good weight for me) but began eating grains and sugar and processed foods again during the pg because I gave myself permission to cheat, thinking damn, I'm pregnant and other pg women can have sweets every so often... why can't I?

I am like amraw in that if I have a small amount of bad foods, even irregularly, while pregnant, I gain double the amount I should each month. I ate well last pg and limited sugar and pizza and things to twice a week and I still gained like 8 lbs per month! BUT... I was following the Brewer Diet and was eating many extra calories each day, as he suggests 2600 calories in the third trimester. I was taking in 2400 a day on average. I am guessing it was too much for me, so, I am not going to do that this time. I am going to try to keep calories lower. Even if it means that I am a little more hungry this time. I just can't handle another 70 lb gain.

I haven't been strict with cheating and eating out so far. I should though. When I say eating out, I mean like once a week and I'm talking wood fired pizza or fried fish. I am limiting sugar MORE than last time, but I should really cut it out entirely. I am addicted to sugar though, so breaking that bond is going to be hard, even though I don't eat it every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started using stretch mark serum of dermalmd from the 4th month of my pregnancy till 9th month. After delivery not even a single stretch mark appeared on my skin. I am very happy with the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts