Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of trying to pare down our financial paperwork, I realized that I have held onto almost every piece of paper sent to DH or me regarding our student loans ... and when you consider DH was in school long enough to get his Ph.D., that's a LOT of paperwork.

The loans are now consolidated, so I'm thinking all I need to hang onto is the consolidation agreements and perhaps the old promissory notes. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any thoughts!
K

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hold on!! Keep em!! I'm so glad I did, because after I got a job where the government pays my student loans off, I had to provide them with the original loan docs, the history of ownership of the loans, consolidation information, etc. I was so glad I anally kept everything. now I have just the prom notes and consolidations and tracking, but threw out the award letters and anything the school sent regarding financial aid.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, ladies!

Lana, thank you so much for making me think about that ... DH is doing a postdoc with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and there's a good chance they'll be offering him a permanent position. It's possible that they *might* (fingers crossed) offer to pay off his loans at that time--or at least forgive part of them. So, I will hold onto the paperwork.

As it turns out, it only amounts to two file folders. I'll just reorganize everything and put pretty new labels on them to satisfy my current organizational obsession!

Lana, congrats on your defense and the birth of your baby!
K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.