Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 11 months old and I've been staying at home with her. I'm also thinking of homeschooling or unschooling, but dh and I haven't come to a firm decision yet. The problem is, I'd eventually like to finish my bachelor's degree (111 credits down, about 41 or so to go due to transferring). Can you do both? DH was talking about how it would be very hard for me to finish school when we're thinking of having 3 or 4 children and homeschooling them. Can it be done? DH is in vet school now and will be starting in the clinics this winter, so I won't be able to rely on him to watch dd while I go to class. That lasts until he's done in spring 2008. I don't know if I should look for a sitter or check out the montessori because I didn't really want to have her in any day care, but even if I only took 1 online class, I'd still need someone to watch her while I go in for the 3 or 4 exams that I'd have throughout the semester. And online classes are only an option for 2 of the classes I need. I don't want to make any decisions for dd that I'll regret later and I don't think I would ever regret being at home with her, but at the same time, I'd like to finish my degree eventually.

: Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I am about to take my first formal college class in more than 10 years! Working towards nursing school. I have been studying math all summer in hopes of eventually testing out of an algebra class that has expired.

On-line classes are a great way to go if you have that option! Make sure they transfer to the college that's offering the degree you are after. Right now I don't use sitters and only take one class per sememster until I get accepted into nursing school. They are all sciences so they are hard. I would probably feel comfortable taking liberal arts classes alongside them if I was lacking those credits. My biggest resource right now is the YMCA. I can enroll my older child for free classes with a membership. My 2yo is too young but will be able to take classes soon, too. They will watch my kids for up to 2 hours a day in the childwatch as long as I stay on site. I have been dropping them off in childwatch/classes and studying. It's been great!

Since your dd is older, you could probably ask a friend to watch her for part of the day so you can study, or she can do her own work. Even my two young ones allow me to study at home for brief periods if I set up the wading pool or something fun for them and stay nearby.

Once I get into nursing school, which is full time, I will probably have to put them in school.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
We homeschool/unschool. My boys are now 6 and I'm expecting another child in December. I'm currently beginning my second year as a masters student. I did have to get a sitter to help with my final year and a half of undergrad, as I could not manipulate my schedule...but earlier in my school career I was able to do night classes which helped a lot. There weren't on-line courses available that worked with my course plan, so I cannot make recommendations there. I also went year round so that I could thin-out my schedule during the regular spring/fall semesters. It is amazing being a mother and student at the same time. My boys picked up on so much of what I was doing. My partner would laugh when he came home and they were "helping" me with my anatomy and physics homework. I often studied with them so everyone was able to benefit. It made for great quality time with the kids. I think that's a lot of what homeschooling/unschooling is about- learning together! I must admit that as a graduate student it's been a little easier for me b/c of the flexibility of my current schedule. I would do it all over again for sure! I've recently met another homeschooling mom who will be a masters student this coming fall. We're planning on helping each other out with our schedules a bit. Perhaps you could see if there are any like-minded moms in your area?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You can do it.

My kids have never been to school, always homeschooled, and I've pretty much been a student myself most of that time, always full time. I'm in nursing school now full time (BSN) and homeschool my girls. When I was doing my pre-reqs I took in the evenings.

I really don't think it is that hard (I guess just because we have always just done it so I dont know any better...lol), but at times I am stressed out, especially when there is a test coming up. You just have to schedule things--I have a wall calendar so I can "see" everything at once.

My mom watches my kids when I am in class (at my school nursing classes are only during the day). I have day and night clinicals, it just varies. My husband is a student as well and works full time so we are pretty busy, but it's all well worth it.

I can study through ANY noise...lol. Sometimes my kids, especially my oldest helps me study. I've brought home microbiolgy class assignments to do and she loves doing stuff like that, it's fun!!

Good luck, it can be done.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
Since your dd is older, you could probably ask a friend to watch her for part of the day so you can study, or she can do her own work. Even my two young ones allow me to study at home for brief periods if I set up the wading pool or something fun for them and stay nearby.
She's only 11 months old, but that gives me ideas for later

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just noticed you are from Lansing! Are you going to MSU? There should be other homeschoolers in your area. MSU is supposed to have some really awesome childcare/play programs . My friend lives there and was able to take her son to some neat stuff at a young age. I'm pretty sure you have to apply really early, so it's definately something to look into now! You are lucky to live near MSU! There are awesome children's gardens and hands-on opportunities for you and your child. Oh, and have some of the icecream for me that they sell on campus (the stuff they make there)- the icecream here sucks and I'm longing for some good old Michigan icecreams!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes it can be done!

I am doing it. I am a single mother of three who have always been homeschooled. I did the first two years of my BA when I only had one child and he came to most of my classes with me (he was 7-9yo and it was fine with the professors - I always asked first). I've started back to finish the BA and will graduate next May. With any luck
I will get into grad school to start in the fall of '07.

Yes, I am crazy-busy. But, I have always done some sort of work/schooling while being a homeschooling parent. It is doable, if you manage your time well.

Currently and for the last three terms my teenager and my mother have babysat my young ones while I go to class.

Once I have my MA I am planning on teaching at the college level and researching and writing: my schedule really won't be much different from how it is now. After a few years of that I will go on to get my PhD.

That's the plan, anyway. Life has a funny way of altering our plans.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by roomformore
I just noticed you are from Lansing! Are you going to MSU? There should be other homeschoolers in your area. MSU is supposed to have some really awesome childcare/play programs . My friend lives there and was able to take her son to some neat stuff at a young age. I'm pretty sure you have to apply really early, so it's definately something to look into now! You are lucky to live near MSU! There are awesome children's gardens and hands-on opportunities for you and your child. Oh, and have some of the icecream for me that they sell on campus (the stuff they make there)- the icecream here sucks and I'm longing for some good old Michigan icecreams!
Yep, I'm going to MSU. And we always get ice cream at the dairy store when people are visiting. I think I'm letting that be one of my exceptions since I'm trying to eat mostly vegan

I've met some other homeschoolers here. I went to one of their meet-ups, but since dd is still little, we don't go regularly (they meet once a week in the summer).

There's a montessori right down from campus, but again, I'm not sure about having her in preschool. There's also a Reggio Emilio (?) based program, but I think it's a little bit of a drive.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Well, my DD is only coming up on 3, but I definitely am homeschooling her. I took a year off, and started back to school when she was 10.5 mo. old. I took 12-13 hours, the first semester geared for short days, the rest I've managed to make short weeks, with DD in day care 3 or 4 days/wk. She was with an in-home provider, so a family setting with mixed age of kids, up until this coming semester, when I'm switching her to on-campus because it's less expensive full time and I'm taking 15 hrs. so I can graduate in December and be done.

Day care isn't ideal, but if you can find the right situation, it's not so bad. DD loved going to R's house, and I'll be able to visit her during the day and eat lunch with her at the on-campus center. I'm looking at an online program for grad school.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm also a single mom, my dd will be 3 in October, and I'm planning to start school this fall and I'm planning to homeschool… it's a bit overwhelming! I haven't got any child care set up yet (yikes!). We've just moved to a new state so I don't yet know very many people, but I'm hoping to meet other homeschooling moms through La Leche and some family that I have who homeschooled. I just found out that the child care place at the school is totally booked for the next year, so I don't know how I'm going to manage it. But I'm going to start part time this semester and hope that by the time I go full time I'll have a system in place.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
I'm a student mom and I personally can't imagine adding homeschooling to my list.

But other people have done it.

I guess you could homeschool and work, too, but I cannot imagine doing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts