Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now looking for all my textbooks on ebay, half.com, amazon marketplace, etc., after initially buying (then selling back) all my books from the school bookstore and spending $430! So far I have found everything, and saved about $300, except one book. The biddings for this one are getting crazy, getting very close to what I initially paid (after you figure in shipping fees.)<br><br>
So, my question is: If my class uses a 12th edition book, and I buy the 11th edition (for about 1/10th of the price of the 12th,) would I have basically the same material? I realize it wouldn't be exact...but could i get by and still get a good grade? (I am normally an A student and want to keep it up.)<br><br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
In my experience, it depends - on the book, author, subject area. Sometimes there is very little change. Other times, all the chapters are switched around, with lots of new information. For one book I used, they added a new author, and she did an entirely new chapter and re-did several other chapters.<br><br>
I suggest that the student compare the 2 books side by side (borrow a current one from a friend or come into my office) and make the decision about whether they think they'll be missing material. I have also allowed students to take my book to copy chapters for the first week or 2 of the semester while they work things out.<br><br>
Another problem is that the page numbers won't agree (prof's syllabus vs. your text), and you need to decide how that may affect your studying. (If your prof does things by page number - I do about 1/2 the time.)<br><br>
Best wishes to you. Textbooks are SO expensive. I know that one of the books for my students is more this year than last, and it is NOT a new edition. The prices seem to have skyrocketed this year.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree with the above poster. It really just depends. I would email the instructor and ask him/her, they will be able to tell you for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts