Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/health/article-page.html?res=9502EEDC1730F931A1575AC0A9639C8B63" target="_blank">Studies Find Flu Vaccine and Antiviral Drugs Fall Far Short</a><br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">ROME, Sept. 21 - Just as governments around the world are stockpiling millions of doses of flu vaccine and antiviral drugs in anticipation of a potential influenza pandemic, two new surprising research papers to be published Thursday have found that such treatments are far less effective than previously thought.</td>
</tr></table></div>

<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">"The runaway 100 percent effectiveness that's touted by proponents was nowhere to be seen," said Tom Jefferson, a researcher in Rome with the Cochrane Vaccine Fields project, an international consortium of scientists who perform systematic reviews of research data.</td>
</tr></table></div>

<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">The fact that the vaccine study showed that inoculations have had only a modest effect in the elderly is particularly worrisome, because this is a group that tends to suffer high rates of complications and deaths from the disease and vaccination is the standard practice. <b>In people over 65, the vaccines "are apparently ineffective" in the prevention of influenza, pneumonia and hospital admissions</b>, although they did reduce deaths from pneumonia a bit, by "up to 30 percent," the study says.</td>
</tr></table></div>
Just wanted to post this for those who don't frequent the vaccine forum.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
That's funny b/c I've never thought or read anywhere that the flu vaccine is 100% effective against the flu. Mainly b/c of the huge gamble that's taken every year when they make it. They sort of have to guess which flu is going to show up. Also the article doesn't talk about the other groups at risk for flu deaths - children and immune compromised people. Also since the vaccine is actually only ever recommended for the elderly, the young and the immune compromised to basically prevent death or lessen the effects of the flu rather than actually prevent the flu, at least that's what my doctors tell me, reading this article is kind of like, duh, my doctor could have told them that..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts