Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a few posts that seem to suggest that there is something “wrong” with stuffed toys. I have absolutely no knowledge of this issue. Could someone talk to me about this?

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
My only problem with them is that they breed so rapidly... you start out with 2 or 3 and before you know it they're covering the bed.... ;-)

They also can harbor dust mites, but I think there are ways to get rid of them, if you're the allergic type.

I still have my teddy bear from when I was tiny, so I'm not one to talk...

Dar

·
Registered
874 Posts
I asked my family not to get my son any when he was born, due to the breeding mostly, but also for the simple reason that my dog literally pulls the stuffing out of them! He has since he was a puppy (by the time I realized that it was irreversible, it was too late!).

Of course, no one could resist fully, and I'm glad. My son has this little stuffed elephant that he is totally in love with and a Cat in the Hat that he learned to roll over with. The elephant is his lovey and it's so sweet to see him cuddle with it!

As far as other reasons why not, I'll have to wait with you to see what others have to say!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ugh!

We have so many stuffed animals.

And it's so hard to get rid of them a) because they look so real and if you tend to me animistic like me, it's impossible to kick them out of the house. b) It's hard to give them away because of the whole germ thing.

Dina

·
Registered
642 Posts
You can find a few that are washable...my DD has two TY teddies made for babies (with a little rattle in them) that are machine washable.

They aren't something that I buy but of course we still end up with lots from other people. I try to thin them out a bit once and awhile....it is hard though (oh, this was from her Grandma, etc.)

The solution for us has actually been to give a few to the dog that she doesn't play with anymore :LOL then I don't mind tossing them once they are destroyed....of course Dd always gets to say whether or not she wants it first and doesn't mind sharing with him.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just an FYI - I have thrown many a stuffed animal in the washer & dryer and it has never been a problem.

I might not try if it was a super important toy for my DC, but that's the method I use for periodic cleaning of the ones in our house.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I have no problem with stuffed animals, but I do worry about what they are made of. I would much rather have stuffed animals that are cotton (or at least somewhat cotton), but usually they are made from some kind of polyester, which has who knows what kind of flame retardents and other chemicals on it. And then I wonder about what it is stuffed with. Foam, for instance, could be giving off all kinds of chemicals. I wish it was easier to find cotton stuffed animals stuffed with more cotton or wool or something (at a price that is fairly comparable to that of the stuffed animals you find at, say, Toys R Us).

Also, there are some stuffed animals that are much less likely to encourage imaginative play than others. I don't know exactly what makes this difference (it isn't for instance, necessarily a factor dependent on the details of the facial features), but I know the most creativity-enhancing when I see them just by intuition. Sure enough, these are the ones that the kids will hang onto forever too!

If you have a waldorf home, also, you may not want stuffed toys with clear facial features. Just guesses about what might bother people...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I didn't know stuffed animals weren't hip. I know we're not supposed to put them in cribs, because they can climb on them and get out, or suffocate. I never give them as gifts, but I always like them. My son happens to love stuffed bears.

They do multiply though, I always wondered about that...

Take care,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My only problem is the multiplying problem :LOL. I gave DD a bunny when we brought her home and "bunnybear" is still her bed buddy. It's also the only stuffed toy that goes camping and on trips. Her lifemom gave her a "huggy bear" It talks to her when she hugs it and Huggy bear stays in her bed because it is truly irreplacable. When I tuck DD in I always hand her HB and we talk about how "C" gave her this bear so she could always have a hug from her whenever she needed it. Such a connection.
DD picked out the bear for her baby brother to sleep with and his lifemom gave him a blanket with a bear's head and wings on one corner. Again, we take his buddy bear with us on trips, but the angel bear stays in his crib.

DH's Aunt is known for giving the babies in the family wonderful soft well made stuffed toys that my kids never play with
After a year I donate these like new toys to the stuffed animal drive that takes place at DH's work every winter holiday season. Right now there's a laundry basket full of them. No allergies in our house so far...

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I agree with the breeding! MIL is a bit dotty (that's being kind and generous
) and Dh came home from work when DD was 3 weeks old with a present from grandma- a 3 foot tall stuffed bunny!!!
now we weren't fans of the stuffed stuff before b/c of the breeding but when we realized just how bad she could make it...... dh & i both have a lot of allergies, so this is somewhat believable, but we told her that the dr. told us not to have stuffed animals b/c of allergies. when we have a "medical" reason it seems to stick.

with the washing & drying, if they get ruined, oh well! (i'm so heartless
)

·
Registered
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a problem with *all* toys multiplying. It's really been a problem in the last year because we moved and I don't know a lot of people to unload this stuff on and they don't do salvation army type thinks where I live but I don't have the heart to through away *anything* if I think someone else might use it. Urgh...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Well, I don't mind the multiplying. I love stuffed animals. I always have. I never really played with dolls, because I had my stuffed animals. I have passed down most of my childhood stuffed animals to my daughters, and am having the best time seeing them play with them now!

I know, the alergens. If either of them show any kinds of sensitivities, I'll reevaluate, but for now, they're here to stay!

Bec

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
i have asthma... i love stuffies. my son loves stuffies. i donated all of my old stuffy friends to him.
when i was a kid, my mom used to just toss our stuffies in the dryer for a few hours with some wet rags and they came out clean (albeit with nappy fur). the dryer thing also works to rid them of dust + dust mites.

on the subject of ridiculously large ones: my sisters and i had this gigantic stuffed unicorn we named Snowy (can you guess what color he was?). we loved that thing. we rode him and dragged him around all over the house. he was literally the size of an actual large pony. by the time he left our home (to be a friend to my neice) he could no longer stand up.

fast forward a few years... a christmas or two ago my mom sent down a tiger for our son. this thing is crazy big ~ almost as big as a real tiger, and almost as realistic. it's gorgeous, and soft, and my son absolutely adores it. he named it Tigger.
it sleeps on his bed with him at night... check it out. at first we totally freaked out that she had gotten him such a large stuffy friend... but he fell in love with his "kitty" immediately. how could we be mad?

obviously we can't put Tigger in the dryer though, which means when he gets dirty i have to surface clean him and then dry him really well.
it's a pain but i guess it's worth it.

....... that was way more long-winded than i intended.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We love our stuffy friends. Dh and I each have stuffie friends from when we were kids. I collect the old care bears, and Ds has taken to them, so we have gotten him the new ones (the old ones can harbor germs, and they are really expensive.) When Ds was born DH and I made him two stuffies at Teddy Crafters, a stuffed Elephant that is desinged for babies (he has a soft sweater on) and a special bear in a baseball out fit that we mainly just display. Ds has a ton of stuffies on the bed in his room, but he actually sleeps with us. He has 4 friends that he sleeps with at present, a teeny preemie cabage patch named "Baby", his special boohbah that I ordered from England so he could take it to the hospital when he had his testing done, Cat in the Hat that Grandma gave him for Christmas and who wears one of Ds's baby t-shirts to sleep in, and an alien that Grandma bought him recently. He would bring several other toys to bed, including his wooden pirates, but a Mommy has to draw the line somewhere. Boohbah and Baby are his special lovies, and any time he is upset just hugging them calms him. I have donated some of my old stuffies to him and I love seeing him play with them again. When he was tiny Dh bought him several really large stuffies, An otter mom and baby, a large gorrila, and a large floppy dog. We finally gave them away because they were taking up so much space in the house. He still has his my pet monster who is bigger than him, and they wrestle together. I think I will get my Nephew a My Pet Monster for his first b-day because they are so much fun.

Wow that was really longer than I intended. I will admit that I still have two stuffies that I sleep with. A special tiger a friend gave me, (I took him to the hospital with me when I delivered my son) and a small tender heart care bear who has a very special place in my heart. I would probably sleep with more, but Ds shares our bed.
He is my big stuffy.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
What a sweet picture of your little one Klothos!!

I opened this thread with dread in my heart b/c dd loves "babies..." She now has names for them, bayah (bear), babeee, elmo (she never watches tv and yet knows that it's elmo - go figure, I think the babysitter told her his name
), and a multitude of other babies. She loves them.

I just throw them all in the wash I figure if they can't take it, they can't handle living in our home! We are too furry and dirty not to have mandatory baths!

·
Registered
754 Posts
they breed so rapidly. I love it because its soooo true. I still have a 10 or so from my childhood my fav being Daddy teddy bear (looks SO loved). My son has tons of the little tribble wannabes. But they are all washable and my child care loves them so its all okay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.