Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies,

Well, this for me, has so far been the pg of new and annoying symptoms... ms was new for me, I had spotting early on, I had bouts of insomnia (thankfully gone now) I had headaches for weeks straight (well, I had these with dd but on top of all the others they were really getting me down)... now I can hardly breathe through my nose! I've read that this is not uncommon, but haven't found any effective tips to make it easier to breathe. If I breathe through my mouth it makes me feel gaggy (a little morning sickness left)...

It doesn't feel plugged, as such, just stuffy and sore and almost swollen. Anyone else going through this? And do you have any suggestions that worked for you?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Nasal irrigation and saline spray. I'm actually getting tons of goo, though, thanks to the end of allergy season. I'm hoping that it settles down to normal pregnancy nose and I hope that I don't have a horrendous case of it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've had a problem w/this too. I find that I can often breath through my nose but not deeply - the part at the bridge seems to get clogged and air can't get up into my sinuses which leads to awful headaches (and sometimes infections.) I have a couple of rituals that seem to work. I take a long, warm shower and rub a washcloth pretty hard against the bridge of my nose and after a bit some goop usually comes out. I breathe deep, tilting my head in all direction until things get moving - it sometimes takes a little bit. The trick I've found though, is not to stay in the warm air too long. At a certain point, the warmth seems to encourage swelling and be counter-productive. When I feel that coming on, I change the water to cool which seems to make the passages open up even more.

I've also started to run a warm-mist humidifier in our bedroom (and keep the door shut) at night. Keeping nasal passages moist helps ward off colds/flu too.

In the past, I've also used pure saline nasal sprays.

So far, these things have kept my nose open and sinuses flowing. Good luck finding something that works for you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.