Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting this thread here because when I looked up about stuttering, it is apparently the norm to get help and therapy through the local school---early intervention---but what I'm wondering is what about homeschooling? What if DS needs intervention but he's not going to be going to kindergarten there?<br><br>
Right now he is a mild stutterer and gets stuck on the first few syllables of a sentence when he is excited or trying to get someone's attention. So far he is not frustrated and DH and I have NEVER pointed it out to him so he has no idea that talking this way is not the norm. Some days it is worse than others. I can't really remember when it started but it has been going on since at least Spring.<br><br>
I was thinking I would wait and see if it got better, worse or stayed the same and if it was still going on at his 5 year old check up that I would mention it to his pediatrician. What I don't want to do is wait until the problem gets worse and harder to correct.<br><br>
Has anyone else had a stutterer and did you find that time helped?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
My son has a stutter that comes and goes. He's in it right now... I have a speech therapist in the family that told me not to worry about it. It tends to come out when my son is stressed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My DD had a slight articulation problem around age 4 and after looking into district sponsored speech therapy, we decided to wait. After 1.5 years her speech had improved greatly, but she still qualified for some therapy. AFter 6months of weekly therapy she "graduated" and her speech should continue just to improve with age.<br><br>
I would say that you could possibly have him evaulated to get the opinion of a therapist and maybe some things you can do with him at home. Then just give him time and see if that helps, as long as you feel it isn't affecting other parts of his life too much. It was after I heard other kids telling my DD that she "talked funny" and couldn't "talk right" that motivated me to start therapy. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts