Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my second birth. With Ds Dr had agreed to delay cord clamping, but then did it right away "because I was worried about him getting enough oxgen" We had long labor and they were in a hurry to get him on o2 I guess.

So now I have same Drs (not much choice) and they have diagnosed baby has only have a Single Umblicial Artery. I have not been able to find much info on how that may affect the birth, and if delayed cord clamping would still be reccomended. We are having a doula this time, so maybe she will be able to supervise Dr and keep her to the agreed birth plan.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Google this you will find out probably more than you want to know. It is a fairly common thing 1-100. Is usually considered a random even although is far more common in pregnancies of multiples. Can also be associated 1 out of 5 with cardiac or bladder abnormalities. Since we delay cord clamping on all babies we have had some SUA babies and all were fine with delayed clamping. In fact the way that we do homebirths we can deliver oxygen to babies that are still attached to mom, but most of the time with the cord still attached and pulsing the cord is the oxygen delivery system until the baby breathes well. I have read accounts of babies not breathing for 10 minutes with the cord still functioning and the baby's heart rate fine but no breathing attempts because of obstruction, once the obstruction was cleared the baby breathed and was and still is fine I think that this kid is now 10 yo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.