Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I had my 8yr-old at the allergist yesterday for prick testing, mostly to see if he is outgrowing his egg allergy. She checked him for environmentals too, and he really was off-the-charts reactive to trees, grasses, and weeds. He hasn't really shown any real symptoms, but it's possible he doesn't feel too well. We've been dealing with behavior lately-he's waking up in the morning angry and is generally making his brothers miserable. I just didn't think pollen was the cause, and I'm still thinking it's probably something like gluten or lactose intolerance.

Anyway, she's thinking he needs these drops under his tongue to help him with his seasonal allergies. It will cost us about $60/week for "at least a year" to get him to maintenance level. I can think of so many other things I need that $240/month for! What do you think? Wouldn't he just grow up to use one of the many allergy meds on the market if he needed it? Are these drops even proven to work? Does he really "need" them? What else can we do to make him more comfortable in the spring next year?

Thanks so much!
Kristin

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
What are the drops? Herbal or western meds?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're certainly not herbal, but my understanding is that it's a very diluted solution of the allergens to "build up" his tolerance. I might be wrong, but it's the same idea as an adult going for allergy shots. Most of the allergists around here don't treat children this way, and I'm wondering if it's because it doesn't work. Theoretically, he could "outgrow" these before adulthood too.

Kristin

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rubies View Post
They're certainly not herbal, but my understanding is that it's a very diluted solution of the allergens to "build up" his tolerance. I might be wrong, but it's the same idea as an adult going for allergy shots. Most of the allergists around here don't treat children this way, and I'm wondering if it's because it doesn't work. Theoretically, he could "outgrow" these before adulthood too.

Kristin
Is this a regular medical doctor allergist? I'm curious about it. My dd has just started reacting to all grasses, trees, etc. this year and it's really bad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, she's a medical allergist, an MD with a background in pediatrics. It really has been a tough season this year.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think what she calls it is "sub-lingual antigen therapy".

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Huh, this sounds very interesting. I don't think I'd pay that much for it all the time, but if the allergies are that bad it may be worth it for during the major allergy seasons.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had my 8yr-old at the allergist yesterday for prick testing, mostly to see if he is outgrowing his egg allergy. She checked him for environmentals too, and he really was off-the-charts reactive to trees, grasses, and weeds. He hasn't really shown any real symptoms, but it's possible he doesn't feel too well. We've been dealing with behavior lately-he's waking up in the morning angry and is generally making his brothers miserable. I just didn't think pollen was the cause, and I'm still thinking it's probably something like gluten or lactose intolerance.

Anyway, she's thinking he needs these drops under his tongue to help him with his seasonal allergies. It will cost us about $60/week for "at least a year" to get him to maintenance level. I can think of so many other things I need that $240/month for! What do you think? Wouldn't he just grow up to use one of the many allergy meds on the market if he needed it? Are these drops even proven to work? Does he really "need" them? What else can we do to make him more comfortable in the spring next year?

Kristen -

I'm going to give you my perspective as someone who has been doing allergy shots for the past 1.5 years. And yes the sublingual is very similar to allergy shots. (The drops are effective and approved in Europe, but there's a hold up in FDA approval here due to lobbying bs according to my allergist.) If my insurance was covering this right now, I would definately switch.

As far as showing no real symptoms - I can relate. I was shocked as to how severe my environmental allergies were. My suspicion is that they are the cause of my feeling crappy in ways other than sneezing, runny nose, etc. Time will tell due to the severity of allergies I am dealing with. So, his waking up angry could totally be related. I totally get more irritable when allergens are high. I even figured out I get low level nausea when over exposed.

I'd recommend having a more indepth conversation with your doc regarding your questions and whether this is really the most appropriate treatment right now. It is a big commitment, but the payoff in feeling better could make a big difference for your son.

HTH,
Samm

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Samm. I think the issue is that our insurance won't cover it. To be fair, the wouldn't cover shots either until we meet a $2000 deductible per person. I just don't know anyone else who has tried this and I'm having a hard time deciding if it will be worth the money. I will ask the allergist the questions I have, and we see the pediatrician next week too, so I'll ask her opinion. Thank you.

Kristin

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
bumping

Did you do this? Or did you decide on something else?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, we haven't done it. He's having an easier time of it this year so far, but now my youngest is suffering! Our pediatrician didn't recommend the sub-lingual drops (not surprising), and our insurance company won't help either.

We are keeping our windows closed and changing our furnace filter every 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to stay ahead of the dusting and vacuuming. We've been using saline nasal sprays, too, and showers before bed (in clean sheets every week). I'm thinking these measures have helped some, but I'm always looking for more ideas too!

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Ok. The ENT I saw is recommending the SLIT shots. I am in the process of requesting a 2nd opinion. Not only that, I want to change Doctors. I did NOT like the ENT I saw initially. My Family Practice Doc Office needs to send over a referral and I am waiting to hear back on the date and time.

I am miserable this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our feeding therapist just recommended these for my ds. I had never heard of them before. She said they have worked fabulous for herself in terms of helping with her EA and FA--which are non-IgE. She said they are approved by the WHO as a valid treatment for allergies. I'm just beginning to look into them so I don't know a lot but she raves about them. Sure would be nice if insurance would cover them though

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
I am seeing a different Doc on Monday. She is an Otolaryngologist at Washington University and get her opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts