Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently had a drop in my breastmilk supply...when I nurse my 10 month old to sleep at night she repeatedly switches sides trying to get more milk...I have been pumping and taking herbs to try to increase my supply, and giving her some donor milk to get her to sleep (I received donor milk when she was younger and my supply was low) but I am almost out. She seems fine by early morning when she wakes to nurse...I just seem to be low in the evening. She has resisted taking formula. While I try to get my supply up what should I give her to get her to sleep? Should I keep trying with formula? Should I give her cows milk?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Have you tried organic formula? I find the organic stuff smells so much more palatable than the regular stuff. Even my cat wouldn't touch the regular stuff and she tries to lick the measuring spoons of the organic. Just an idea. I've also heard you can make your own but I don't trust that (or actually know enough about it). Good luck!

Cindy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would go with organic formula too.
Babys Only organic by Natures One is the best stuff IMO. It doesn't have the toxic fungus oils or hexane like some formulas have.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
noramly the only real way to get your milk up is to keep her nursing.!

are you nursing her alot near bedtime? maybe try to give yourself a few hours before bed so you can 'fill up' also she may just like switching my ds goes through phases of just wanting to switch around a lot.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
The formula that I've tried to use to supplement and that she took when she was much younger is the organic kind...earth's best and baby's only...she won't take it now
most nights she will not fall asleep until we give her some supplement and we are down to 3 frozen bags...
at what point is cow's milk okay? she seems to only need 3 or 4 oz at most...and the rest of the day and night she is fine...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Cow's milk is considered ok at 1 year.

Is there any way you can get more donor milk? I could pump you some--I have donated in the past, but it would take a while to get to you.

Milk supply is lower in the evening for everyone--see this link on Kellymom: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

You might actually have a normal supply. My DD takes a looooooong time to fall asleep at night sometimes (ok, most of the time), and will nurse on one side, then roll around, talk to herself, push herself to sitting, etc., and then come back to nurse some more, over and over again! She is 9.5 months.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've read the Goat's milk can be tolerated earlier, maybe research that.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post

Milk supply is lower in the evening for everyone--see this link on Kellymom: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
man isn't that the truth!! I feel like I have zero milk in the evenings, if I manage to get 4 hours of sleep my boobs are HUGE! Its like all the nursing kickes them in the pants and you get super supply in the morning

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
noramly the only real way to get your milk up is to keep her nursing.!
Yes, and therefore, I strongly recommend the SNS:
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...ing-system-sns
I used it with ds1 who was born SO hungry I couldn't keep up. Since its use helps stimulate your own milk production, we only needed it for the first 2.5 wks of his life; after that, I had a huge increase in production. So, you have to first address the issue of what to use, formula or ?? Whatever you decide, you will benefit from feeding it through the SNS. Lots of luck!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
What time is she doing the switching? I don't have supply issues and my 10 month old will spend a few 15 minute periods every evening (7-9ish) switching from one side to the other.

Honestly, I've found it most helpful to break things up a bit and try to get her to do something other than nurse. What seems to happen is that it turns out either she was nursing from boredom and plays happily until nursing a good long time 20 minutes later, or she shrieks in protest and latches on and nurses herself right to sleep. (And of course, sometimes she shrieks in protest and goes right back to on-off-on-off nursing...)

You mentioned that morning nursing is fine, how about nursing the rest of the night? Is it on-off-on-off like the evening nursing?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have heard that babies will switch breast like this to get the foremilk because they are more thirsty than hungry.

I would just keep nursing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I supplemented at 7 mo w/ goat milk. I had a local source for raw goats milk, and what I read said it was closest to breastmilk... he liked it, too! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was always cautioned to nurse more frequently if supply is low rather than supplement. I do recall that at a certain age (I think 6 months) DS just was not satisfied with one breast and I started doing "switch nursing" (you can google "switch nursing kellymom" for more information) in the evenings to get my supply up. I find that I do have to do this right before I have my period for about a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts