Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever subbed for extra money? Is it worth it? I'm thinking of putting my name on the list (for the whole local school system: K-12) since it will be the hours my oldest 3 are in school and I will only have 1 to leave at my grandma's or my aunt's. Does this sound like a viable plan? Also, I was thinking it might get my "foot in the door" toward getting a teacher's aide or other job for the school next fall. It's hard to get hired on at the school here . . .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven't done it, but my mom and my sister have.<br><br>
My sister was a licensed teacher and needed a job before going back for her Masters. She was able to get a long term high school subbing job for a woman on maternity leave. It worked out great.<br><br>
My mom has subbed for 7.5 years. She started when my little brothers were 11 and 4 (and the rest of us were out of the house) and asked for only elementary school. It was a little crazy for the first couple years because she was all over town, but now she has one school that keeps her busy 3 - 4 days a week and that's all she wants.<br><br>
Some days are harder than others. Some classes are harder than others. But all in all she likes it. She enjoys the special ed classes most. She especially likes the flexibility. If she wants to go out of town, she doesn't have to ask for time off she just goes - it's helped her take care of new grandbabies, ill parents and parent-in-law, etc. Several of her friends (with 4 - 6 children) have subbed too and then been able to move into aide positions. One went back to school and now has her certificate so she can have her own class.<br><br>
One thing that has frustrated my mom has been that she has started needing to buy convenience foods - there just isn't enough time to do it all. Nothing terrible, but they'll have frozen fruit instead of fresh, prepared meatballs or pizza once a week. That's a far cry from when I was growing up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I subbed while I was looking for a teaching job. It isn't too bad but check into the pay - my town pays way less than other towns in the area. I do know that there is often a shortage of subs. I mentioned subbing it to secretary at my dd's school and she said that if I signed on I could probably work every day. As the pp mentioned some classes are harder than others, but other teachers are usually helpful and will give you a hand of you need it. It is especially nice if you can get into one school often so that you are familiar with the building, the staff etc.<br><br>
One thing I found helpful was to have a pile of activities to use just in case I needed to kill some time. Things like word puzzles/games, very simple art activities even joke books or songs - it is especially nice if one activity can be used with a variety of ages.<br><br>
I am planning to start subbing or take a job as an aide when my ds is in school to "get a foot in the door" as well. I want to ease back in and have the flexibility to take time off, and be free after school before I go back full time.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
It varies so much from place to place. I know a couple of people in large suburban areas who substitute teach as almost a full-time job. But in less populated areas you may be called less often.<br><br>
I'd also check into the hours you'd be required to work. A good friend of mine found that although she was subbing at her DC's school, she had to find before- and after-school care for her kids because she needed to be there early in the morning and later in the afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I know there was a thread about this in the working/student mamas forum not too long ago. I've been a substitute teacher and for the most part, I enjoyed it. In short, the key for me was to be on one or two schools short list (preferred subs). That way, I knew the schools, teachers, routines, etc. which made it much easier. The school district currently work at, I do 90% of my jobs at one school and the other 10% is split between two other local elementary schools. I also have degrees in education, so that helps.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have my teaching degree but there are no teaching jobs in our area. I subbed for a year. I hated it with every fiber of my being. I honestly think I am safer managing the domestic violence center than I was subbing. The kids were so aggressive and violent with each other. And I live in WV, so you would think that a smaller town would not have so much violence. Anyway, it basically made me regret getting my degree in teaching because I don't think you could pay me triple to teach now.<br><br>
However, everyone is different. You might really like it. Just try it out, it can't hurt. But be prepared to be called all the time. I got called at all hours of the night. I couldn't even take a shower without my phone ringing, that was annoying.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I subbed at a public school for 8 years. This is my first year of not going back. While I quit doing it b/c I was simply fed up w/the public school system in general (hence, the hs'ing this year), it did work good for us. Like you I had family babysitting and that worked fine. The pay was good for our area, $100/day. It's kind of an unsettling feeling though always wondering if you'll get called in the early morning hours. I always kind of felt edgy b/c I didn't know if I should be preparing to be gone the next day or not, kwim?<br><br>
The good things about subbing are if you find out that you don't like subbing for a particular teacher, you can say no. If you don't want to work one day, you don't have to. Less responsibility too. Yes, you may have to correct papers, but you won't have to prepare lesson plans.<br><br>
Good luck w/your decision!

·
Registered
535 Posts
My mom subs...in our state you have to have a 4yr degree and get the sub certificate. The pay is $90/day or $112/day long-term. There are no benefits and she does mostly long-term. She works 10-12 hours per day for that $$ and puts up with a lot of crap. The pay varies a lot district to district. It's definitely a viable option for extra $$ but mostly if you can minimize the # of hours you put into it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I do it and I LOVE it. I am going to be teaching full time next year but it has been a great transition back into the work world. I sub 3-5 days a week. I only do high school. It is awesome to be able to work when I want and to stay home when I am busy. Our district has a totally computer managed sub system. You get online and check and can accept vacancies based on what you want subjects, ages and schools you want to teach at.<br><br>
It pays $80 a day here and that is 7:30-2:30. Not great at all in terms of hourly pay but what other job can you work "at will" and decide at 6 am that you want to sleep in and can trashcan your job online so someone else can grab it? Or to take a week off or to work half a day?<br><br>
IMO, at the high school level it is basically babysitting and making sure they stay in the classroom and are quiet or working on task. I take a book and read or check my email. Only once have I been left an assignment to "do" with the students.<br><br>
My actual work pay next year will increase to an average of $250-$275 for each school day I actually show up work. That is the ONLY reason I am moving from subbing to FT teaching.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Our district pays $90 a day and the work day is 7:55-2:45 (basically 20 min before the bell to the last bell). I've been teaching for 6 years, but I'm scared to sub. Heck, I don't even like to sub during my prep period for the class next door. I'd rather take an aid or tutor position, personally. However, it will get your foot in the door. The principals will know you. When we find subs we like-- we keep them! There is a serious sub shortage here (ie. if I am on school business, there is about a 50% chance I will get called back to school because there is no sub available). If you can get in a position where you are a regular sub at 1-2 schools that is probably best. The kids will get to know you and so will the admin.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I subbed for a few years. The only thing that I can tell you is that you have to be a strong person. Meaning that don't let the student push you around. The town I I worked I made $120/day but it was like going into a war zone. So you have to look at the area. If it is your children school the question is do you want to see the "school form the inside"?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the input, ladies. i talked it over with hubby and he said one thing that made my decision: "you realize when they call, you probably need to be there ASAP, and there are days your aunt and grandma will be out when you call asking for a sitter NOW." they both live about 15 minutes away too, so that plan may not work too well. i am considering putting dd in pre-school next year (free preschool, no less!) so the subbing thing may work really well then. in the meantime i just need to find something else. thanks again!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I subbed during college breaks. My mom was a local teacher so I knew everyone and the kids mostly knew me. I only needed a high school diploma. It was not bad but boring and the pay was low. But for my situation it worked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts