Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,049 Posts
I live in Beaverton. It's nice. Lots of new developments, but fairly quiet. There's several houses for sale or rent in my neighborhood.

· Registered
9,099 Posts
another Beavertonite here.
we actually enjoy living here. i would prefer to live IN portland but thats not an option for us. so we are quite content living in Beaverton

· Registered
161 Posts
I live in Gresham. I too would prefer to live in Portland, but Gresham is closer to DH's work. It's close enoughto not be a hassle, and far enough away to avoid the traffic. It seems to be cheaper than Portland, and if you enjoy the Great outdoors, you are that much closer to Mt. Hood and th Gorge!

· Registered
9,099 Posts
Portland Proper is a FABULOUS city. fairly low crime rate for most of the city. lovely neigborhoods, really nice. its not a concrete jungle. its very very green.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
My sister lives in Cornelius/Forest Grove and is very happy in her neighborhood. Is pretty multicultural, which is nice for a suburb. If I was moving back to Portland, though, I think I'd shoot for upper SE.
I live in Cornelius, and I love it out here, but just to avoid any confusion it's not really considered by most to be a suburb of Portland. It is suburban in feel although it has some older small town like elements, but it's at least 30 minutes from the Portland city limit, 45+ to get downtown, if traffic is clear, same with Forest Grove. Most people around here consider it at best a suburb of the suburb of a suburb, but many still feel it is just a smaller town outside the burbs.

If what you're looking for is just something with that suburban feel and you aren't concerned with being close to the city, than FG, Cornelius, and Hillsboro are good options (they're all just west of Beaverton, which is cool, too) If you want to be closer to the city though, Beaverton is likely your best bet on the westside. My ILs live in Gresham and they really like it, but there are some not so great neighborhoods. My aunt lives in Troutdale (also eastside, a little further out but still pretty close to Portland) and she loves it there. There are also some nice suburbs a little more south- Tigard, Tualatin, Sherwood (further out, though), Lake Oswego. That's all I can think of right now, but we looked at all of those areas when we were moving up here last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Portland Proper is a FABULOUS city. fairly low crime rate for most of the city. lovely neigborhoods, really nice. its not a concrete jungle. its very very green.
Very true, although I've never actually lived in Portland proper, I've spent a decent amount of time exploring and it is NOT your typical city, at all. Many of the neighborhoods feel as spacious and family oriented and as any suburn I've ever lived in, and there are trees and flowers everywhere!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.