Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spent all of last night pacing between the computer and my sewing maching, but I finally sewed my first ergo-style carrier. I had picked up a waist belt and arm straps at a local REI sale for a total of $16 (whoo-hoo). I dyed some heavy canvas black for the body and dyed some hemp jersey lavender for the lining/hood. All that I have left to do is to put snaps on the hood straps that attach to the arm straps. So far, however, dd hates the hood. Since I have never owned/seen an ergo in real life, does anyone know how the hood is really supposed to work? Is it to hold their heads up or is it just for sun protection?

This was a remarkably easy project. It took me a total of about 6 hours once my fabric was dyed. It was actually easier than the onbuhimo I made. It's great because the straps and the waist band are already made for you.

Here are pics of dd and dh in the carrier.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-1qqhq6&Ux=0

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. It should work now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I love the black and lavendar color combo. Nice work and your baby looks so happy to be in the new carrier!

As far as the hood goes, I think it is supposed to be used for sleeping, to keep their little heads from flopping around. I know that my dd has to be completely knocked out before she'll let me put the hood up.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
your babe looked soo happy to be in her new carrier then I saw the pic of the hood.

I never used the hood until after my babe was asleep and it was to help so her head wouldn't flop around.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what we were thinking. It seems like we could put the hood on when she falls asleep. I don't know if she will fall asleep with the back carry, but she usually will with a front carry. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Wow! That is awesome! And your babe is adorable! Such a cute smile! DD hates the hod on her ergo, I rarely use it, even when she is sleeping, becasue it just gets to hot here in FL. I just walk leaning forward when she falls asleep so her head does"t flop.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Have you thought about making more? I love it! We have a patapum (like ergo) and would love to try yours out!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyandCleo View Post
I love the black and lavendar color combo. Nice work and your baby looks so happy to be in the new carrier!

As far as the hood goes, I think it is supposed to be used for sleeping, to keep their little heads from flopping around. I know that my dd has to be completely knocked out before she'll let me put the hood up.
Same thing here. I just use the hood once he's asleep or if he's on my front and its raining he doesnt' mind. Wow, i'm so impressed! It looks so great! Nice job mama!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.