Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you tried waking your LO at the same time each morning to get them into a pattern of naps throughout the day? Sometimes my dd will wake-up at the same time for days on end, but one late wake-up can throw things off.

She's been fighting naps lately so I'm looking for a solution. The problem is, if she has a bad night (or I do
), I want to let her sleep in. What do you think?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well...I'll just say that DS naturally gets up at the same time every day, and has done so since he was about 3 weeks old. It will vary by approximately 30 minutes, unless he is sick, in which case he is generally more groggy. He wakes at the same time, regardless of what time he goes down for the night.

His nap schedule has never been regular, and when I try to impose a schedule upon him it just makes us both grumpy and frustrated, and he doesn't actually get any more sleep. If I just wait for his signals of readiness to sleep, and begin a sleep ritual immediately upon noticing the sleepy signs, sleep is a nonissue.

Is your LO about to master a new skill? I find that DS tends to sleep more poorly before big milestones - rolling over, crawling, pulling to stand, walking.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think it totally depends on your LO.

Waking my DS before he naturally wakes himself is bad news for us. He is totally cranky and out of sorts until the next time he sleeps. But I have a friend who wakes her baby in the morning and from naps all of the time out of necessity and the baby just goes with the flow.

Guess you won't know til you try if you think it is necessary. I, personally, would just let her sleep, especially if she had a restless night. But I also understand how it can feel like a downward spiral...later waking in the morning=later nap during the day=later bedtime at night. I found with DS that even though we were on this type of cycle every now and then, this really wasn't the case long term. Eventually he'd get back to his normal bedtime without me having to "do" anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
When I first went back to work, I had to start waking DD up in the morning (she was about 3 months old at the time) and for the first few weeks, it was difficult. I felt terrible about waking her up when she was sleeping so soundly! It felt so wrong (and I had mixed feelings about returning to work anyway).

After about 2 weeks of waking her up at like 7:30 or so, she started waking up at that time on her own. It might vary by a half an hour or so (sometimes now she starts to wake up at 6:30, 6:45) but she's generally on a "schedule" to wake up in the am at that time. Weekends, of course, are the same.

Has it helped her naps? I don't think so. Sometimes she just takes an earlier nap to make up for waking up sleepy. Sometimes she'll take 3 short naps instead of 2 long ones. It's a crap shoot really.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.