Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago, I introduced yogurt into DD's diet. She ate a cup of organic yogurt at Grandma's house.

That resulted in an instant red contact rash on her cheeks, chin and chest.

I made sure she didn't get anymore yogurt. But that didn't stop it. She now has eczema patches, about the size of pennies and dimes, down her legs and on her tummy. The original rash lost its redness, but is still rough and covering her chest, chin, cheeks and now eyelids.

I've never noticed a sensitivity to dairy products from her before. When she was a baby, I tried an ED b/c we thought she might be allergic to something, but it had no effect (and later experimentation showed it was an oversupply/imbalance issue that was immediately corrected).

I only eat incidental dairy. She has eaten eggs before and never reacted.

What is going on? Why suddenly an allergy? What can I do to help her restore health? I'm putting some mineral oil on daily and she really likes it, but nothing is healing. She's also getting daily probiotics and I've tightened her already nice diet (e.g. fresh fruits and veggies, small amounts of grass fed beef and whole wheat pasta).

One last thing I noticed: at night it, well, comes alive. Everything gets dark red and inflammed and she scratches all night long. We've changed the bedsheets and re-washed her clothes (we use non-perfume/organic detergent).

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
If you only eat incidental dairy (by that do you mean the amount in, say, some crackers or bread?) then there may have been a dairy intolerance all along, and you're only now seeing it. Some kids (and adults) with intolerances have a very, very low threshold, even trace amounts will cause a wide range of symptoms, but others have a tolerance level, and low but non-zero amounts don't do anything visible. This sounds like a lot more dairy than ever before, so a pre-existing dairy intolerance seems possible.

Is it a probiotic supp or a food? A food, or a high-dose supp, may be more effective is part of the lingering issue is a stress to the digestive tract.

If you're interested in food sources, there's a great Fermented Veggies thread in the Traditional Foods forum, it's easy to ferment veggies at home (kosher dill pickles, kimchee, all sorts of yumminess out there) and, at least for my DD, fermented veggies really help her digestion.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Were there other ingredients in the yogurt?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
good luck tracking the allergy, but in the meantime, try a humidifier at night. I was really skeptical, but it's done wonders for DS and his nighttime scratching. Experiment with different moisturizers, we found hemp oil gives him relief.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.