Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>hi all -</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DS is 4 m/o and was STTN for the past 2 months.  cant complain, he still is STTN 70% of the time, and when he does wake, it's usually a quick feed and back into crib with no major problems.</p>
<p>however, he has just started this thing where he'll be out cold - and i mean out COLD - and as soon as i lay him in crib, BOOM, AWAKE AND CRYING! </p>
<p>we already have a routine (bath, lotion, rocking/nursing, dim lights, white noise, and crib music), but maybe we should add/drop something?  also, have been doing some reading and thinking about moving his bedtime up to about 7 or 7:30 (it was 8 or 8:30) to help - maybe we're missing his window of 'tiredness'??</p>
<p>bottom line, it's just frustrating b/c i cant put my finger on what he needs/wants or what has changed that now makes him wake so easily.</p>
<p>any helpful tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED.</p>
<p>as always, thank you mommas!</p>

·
Registered
35 Posts
<p>It's really common that sleep goes haywire at 4mo.  Babies are gradually becoming more alert to their surroundings.  My DD is 9mo. next week and if I have found continuity in one thing it is that she changes things up on me every few months.  My suggestion would be to go with your idea of an earlier bedtime as well as keeping an eagle-eye on wake times. This is a good summary:</p>
<p><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color:rgb(128,0,128);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;line-height:19px;font-size:small;"> 4/5 months = 2hrs; 6 months = 2.5hrs, 8/9 months = 3hrs; 10+ months = 3-4 hrs.</span></p>
<p>I find it so tedious to be watching the clock, but I have found that it is much more tedious to be tending to a cranky, overtired baby.  GL!</p>

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
<p>My DS is nearly 5 months and we had the same change around the same time as you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Although it used to work great to nurse, bounce, or wear him to sleep until he was deeply asleep and then transfer him, now it wakes him up and he gets very upset.  I think as the PP said he is more aware of his surroundings and the change when we put him down.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What is working for us right now (and yes it keeps changing, keeps us on our toes) is doing those things until he is sleepy / just starting to drift off, and then putting him down (I also have to swaddle him).  He slightly wakes up but then usually goes back to sleep if I lie down next to him for a few minutes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts