Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently posted about concern over my baby's weight gain...now I have another problem. Last Tuesday my daughter and I (she's 8 months old) flew to visit my mother. She nursed just fine on the airplane...lots and lots of wet diapers, normal letdowns, etc. Nursed fine the night we got there, too.

It is now Sunday and I am having TERRIBLE supply issues. When I feel a letdown, I don't see her doing the long sucks she usually does. Last night things were better, but today, in the daytime, I haven't been so lucky. She also started a major teething episode three nights ago, which completely stressed me out. She wouldn't really nurse then, so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

Like I said before, I'm on Domperidone, but today I went out and got some brewer's yeast, fenugreek, and blessed thistle. I'm drinking Mother's Milk tea two times a day, too.

Should I just keep her on the breast as much as possible even if she's just sucking and not drinking? Is it possible to experience such a drastic drop in supply in such a short time? She is still wetting, just not as much.

I should also mention I'm in the high desert at 5,000 feet, so I'm trying to increase my water intake. Could the change in altitude be affecting me?

HELP! I really want to keep bfing and she barely eats solids and seem to have a dairy sensitivity to boot. Can I make it back to normal? How?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have heard of a temporary drop in supply due to jetlag when travelling. I think our routine is disrupted by travelling and I bet altitude has some effect on your physiology. But whatever it is, I'm sure it's just temporary. Just give your body some time to adjust, take it easy (holidays can get very busy) and keep nursing.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Your supply can certainly be jetlagged ~ if your body is used to producing lots in the morning on the west coast, it won't gear up to give you that milk until the middle of the day on the east coast. It was a huge problem for me when I was 9 hours jet lagged (SF to Paris), but not that bad going from coast to coast.

If you're in the high desert, you need to drink a lot more water than you're used to drinking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts