Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 2.5 and is seeming to have horrible attachment issues. This feels terrible, given all that we are trying to do to nurture secure attachment. For the past month or so, he's been really missing my partner, having a hard time when she leaves the room, isn't there to put him down for a nap, etc. The last two days, though, when she leaves for school, he gets totally hysterical. He throws himself on the floor and cries like I've never heard him cry before. Her leaving routine is no different, his morning routine is no different (nor is his daytime routine, which 4 days a week is going to daycare a bit after DW leaves). He will not calm down, he won't let me hold him, touch him, etc. I stand nearby, tell him I love him, that I want to help him, etc. He tells me, "no, you don't love me" and continues the hysteria. Today this went on for at least 20 minutes. I feel like something has gone horribly wrong. I have no idea what it is.<br><br>
argh. sad and feeling helpless. advice?<br><br>
thanks,<br>
megin

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
was he sick recently? could he be teething? ds goes through 'periods' of more intense tantruming (emotional meltdowns) that also have worried me but they tend to pass as quickly as they arrive?? my advice is to reassure him physically and emotionally (as it sounds you have been) while he is having a meltdown and wait it out a few days to see what comes of it. he may just be having a short lived phase where he needs to feel loved and secure (quite possibly as a result of normal development.)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Perhaps he is just attached to you partner more so at this point & wants her attention & the security in knowing she'll be back at end of day to do something special w. him. Just a thought....<br><br>
I remember both of my boys going thru sudden changes in their attachment to either me or my husband at various times. At 2.5 Nate who had always before been just fine w/ dad leaving in the morning, so long as I was there.....suddenly started having tantrums & wanting daddy---just not that into me. So daddy'd make a plan for something they'd do special, later....(though LATER to a 2.5 year old isn't a concept they always get :LOL )

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I think that it is normal for kids to super-attach to one parent over another from time to time. Right now my Caleb really wants his daddy. He goes absolutely crazy when daddy has to leave. If I go in to get him when he wakes he pushes me away and says daddy and cries saying daddy forever...it hurts my feelings a little but both boys have been that way about me before. I am sure that this is a stage that will pass but I know it is hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts