Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS, who is 31 months, has recently become very sensitive to noise. Things that never bothered him before now make him run crying to me, practically inconsolable. Among the offending noises: lawnmowers (he used to LOVE these), the lawn trimmer, garbage trucks, car horns, the coffee grinder, other children crying, and other children shrieking in joy. I have to tell him to cover his ears and go to the back of the house when I grind my coffee in the morning to prevent a major freak out. He also has begun refusing to go to the childcare room at the YMCA, which he formerly loved, because "little boys crying" and "children too noisy". He is particularly disturbed by his baby sister crying for any reason and will burst into tears himself whenever she starts to fuss. Highly frustrating for me to have to calm them both at the same time. I thought it might be a reaction to the recent birth of his sister, but it actually began about a month before she was born.<br><br>
Is this a normal toddler phase? Could it have been triggered by something? How can I help him through this? I hate to see my formerly fearless toddler so bothered by something like this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts