Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is almost 2 1/2 and has always been a pretty easy going child. Since she's been able to express her unhappiness with things, she's been known to squeal a bit, but nothing too intolerable. Suddenly within this past couple of weeks she's been throwing horrible temper tantrums. She will throw herself down, throw things, kick, scream (and I'm talking blood curdling screaming here) she hits, scratches, pinches, anything she can do to inflict pain. It's very frustrating because most of the time it is mainly over something very little, like getting dressed or telling her to stop doing something. For example, today she was playing with her big sis (almost 9) and her friend (about 7) They were coloring on the driveway with chalk and everything was fine. DD suddenly stands up and kicks her sisters friend so I told her to say she was sorry and she starts throwing her tantrum. I took her inside (so the neighbors didn't think I was killing her or something) and put her on the couch in "time out" which lasted for about 5 seconds before she started crawling down. I've tried just leaving the room and ignoring the tantrum, I've tried putting her in her room, I've tried holding her (I'm 7 mo. pregnant though so don't really want her kicking and punching me in the stomach) I just don't know what's wrong and what to do. DD1 never threw tantrums like this. I do know she is trying to cut her 2 yr. molars and her allergies are bothering her a little bit, could that be the contributing factor? Any suggestions on how to deal with these tantrums would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to just give in to her tantrums, that'll only make it worse, right?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
See if this article helps any - I know it helped me with the same thing!<br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/15-0-0/html/15-2-0/tantrums.shtml" target="_blank">Mothering article on tantrums</a>

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I was going to recommend that article too.<br>
I try to stay close, but not get hurt, and just let them know I'm here for them when they need to be comforted.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that article, it was very informative and helpful. I'll try what it says and see what happens. I just hate feeling so helpless when she spirals out of control, but I guess it is just a phase in her life that we will have to work through. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts