Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi mamas. I'm hoping someone will have some thoughts here. After struggling with all sorts of problems (mastitis, thrush, poor latch, cracked nipples) and extreme pain in the first 6 weeks of BFing, it's been beautiful smooth sailing for DS and I.  He is 14 months old and still very attached to his na-nas. He nurses every 2-4 hours even at night. But no matter how much he nurses I never get sore. .. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>until this past week. Suddenly my nipples have become increasingly sore (a bit more so on one side).  It doesn't feel like when I had thrush in the early days.  It mostly hurts when he tries to twiddle my nipples and when he first latches on.  It certainly hasn't reached terrible toe-curling pain levels, but it's uncomfortable and making it hard to sleep through his night feedings.  It doesn't seem like his latch has changed either.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do suspect that I may be returning to fertility though (still haven't had a PPAF) and may be ovulating or gearing up to ovulate. I know some women get sore when they have AF. Can ovulation cause nipple soreness/sensitivity?</p>

·
Registered
381 Posts
<p>It could be AF returning. Could you be pg?</p>
<p>I had the same thing happen. Very sudden. Just this pain when latching and pain when my nips were touched. It ended up being a combo of weird swallow latch and thrush. It didn't feel like the other 2 episodes of thrush that I had had, but I took 1 wk of diflucan and felt so much better. Then I worked on his latch a little and we were pain free.</p>
<p>Good luck!!!</p>

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>99.9% sure I'm not preg.  But we're open to it anytime and not preventing. . .so it's possible.  But I'm really thinking that I am experiencing (or about to) my first PP ovulation.  Not sure if the nipple soreness is due to that or to something else though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess I should start using some GSE in case its thrush. If it doesn't go away in a few more days, I'll get more concerned. I'd really really hate to wind up with a bad case of thrush again. . .it's so painful. </p>

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
<p>I had this kind of pain recently, and I'm pretty sure I had a blocked duct. If felt just like sensitive nipples at first, and worse on one side. Within several days the pain got worse. At that point it occurred to me that it was a blocked duct, so I got into a spuper hot shower...It still hurt a couple of hours, and then it was over.</p>

·
Banned
329 Posts
My nipples get really tender when I'm ovulating, sometimes one side much worse than the other. It took me months to figure this out. Until then, I was SURE it was thrush each month ;0)<br>
Hth!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thanks for the replies.  I was really sore overnight last night, but I am also having O pain. . .so I'm hoping that's what it is (funnily enough the nipple that's the most sore is the same side as my O pain).  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'll treat (naturally) for both thrush and blocked duct though, till I figure this out.  It's nice to know that some women do experience nipple soreness with ovulation.</p>

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
<p>DD is 14 months and I've been having the same trouble. My AF came back when she was 8 months and I'm only a week past the last one. </p>

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
<p>Moved to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy</p>

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<p>I thought I posted this originally in BFing beyond infancy?  Oh well.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts