Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo many questions I have! Would suedecloth work for an outer to a fitted? I was thinking the outer part next to babys skin (rather then fleece - just like most pockets are made) but if it works I would like to try some all over - its just soo soft! Also, has anyone made fitteds with woven fabric rather then flannel? As much as I Love flannel, it just gets so pilly and worn quickly. What do you think? I have soo much fabric if I can use woven and figure out how to do it my kid will have some super yummy diapers!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can use anything for an outer fabric on a fitted! Some people even use cute printed fleece, but I find that to be a little bulky, at the expense of cuteness. Suedecloth is not so thick though so not really a problem for that. Woven is not so good for inside, unless you find something really soft. Some WAHM dipes do sometimes use woven cotton on the inside though, like Full Moon Baby Gear. Woven outer and suedecloth inner is a good combo. No stretch to it though if that is an issue. I like cotton knit prints on the outside and velour on the inside for cuteness, softness and stretch.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who cares about stretch at this point...Yeah to finally being able to do something with the YARDS of woven prints I have! I have some velour and some suedcloth for the insides and prints for the outs...for stuffing Im just going to have to experiment. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyncyn
You can use anything for an outer fabric on a fitted! Some people even use cute printed fleece, but I find that to be a little bulky, at the expense of cuteness. Suedecloth is not so thick though so not really a problem for that. Woven is not so good for inside, unless you find something really soft. Some WAHM dipes do sometimes use woven cotton on the inside though, like Full Moon Baby Gear. Woven outer and suedecloth inner is a good combo. No stretch to it though if that is an issue. I like cotton knit prints on the outside and velour on the inside for cuteness, softness and stretch.
:

You could add a little to the wings to make up for the lack of stretch.
I've made quite a few fitteds with wovens... but I've been too busy sewing to take pics so don't bother looking for them yet. :LOL

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You can cut the diapers on the bias too, that adds a little stretch to wovens.

Most diapers made with wovens use thirsty, absorbant fabrics like flannel, birdseye or woven terry cloth, or even microfiber toweling (though I confess to not being a fan of microfiber toweling) for the soaker pad and the inside layer. If you go with suedecloth for the inner layer, I would add a third full layer of something like flannel hidden inside. That way if your baby pees and misses most of the soaker pad, there is still something to absorb before the pee hits the outside layer. Suedecloth wicks and keeps baby dry but holds very little.

I think just about anything goes for the outside. It is all what you want, you are the designer!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I did make a suedcloth outer diaper and I didn't like it at all. I prefer to use it inside, but I'm also not a huge fan of suedcloth anyway. HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.