Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the sugar out of dc's systems? Are there certain things I should feed them to curb the cravings? How long does it take to get the extra sugar out of your systems? Should I let them eat all of the normal fruit and juice (juice is very controlled) during the detox period, or should I take those away temporarily too? Should I take it away cold-turkey or should I wean them off slowly? I didn't realize until a few days ago how much sugar they really get. I am worried for their health.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can I send grandma away? Seriously, she is a huge part of my problem and it's not my mother. DH is concerned but I don't think forceful enough. And they live close by and we see them about several times a week.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I wouldn't limit fresh fruit. I would slowly dial back the sugar you add to foods and restrict-then-eliminate the sugary FOODS you feed them (kids cereals, snacks, etc).<br><br>
I would dial back to severe restriction (1-2 times a week) the juice, slowly though.<br><br>
Changes made slowly, in my experience, stick better than those done quickly amongst great protest.<br><br>
Be sure to add in fun foods to take their minds off the sugar (dip and veggies, mini-pizzas, etc).

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My kids don't miss sugar at all. I use other sweeteners to so they don't feel like they never get any treats. They will devour oatmeal cooked with milk and sweetened with maple syrup and a little date sugar. They love raw milk ice cream with either maple or honey. The only time they ask for sugar candy is at Grandma's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts