Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....so we're moving in 2 weeks to new place. And we're going to paint. Yay! I love paint!

Anyway, I can't find a paint color that I think would look great....and I've been everywhere.

Here's the deal: The downstairs is a large room we'll use for homeschooling, a living room and the kitchen. We're painting the living room and homeschool room. It has light colored tiles.

I've gone back and forth for awhile...but I'm leaning a bit more towards blue (light blue) because our couch is orange and it is a complimentary color.

Here's our couch and lamp. Here's a pic of the three pictures that are the main focus in the living room. (Sadly, those green walls were another house and the owners of this new one aren't big on dark colors.)

I'm not a big fan of tan. I like colors-- but I guess, since this is a rental, we're going a bit more "classy" and less like a giant leprechaun threw up in there. No tan or beige for me.

I'm okay with the homeschooling room being a different color, as long as they look great together. PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSE help me. Do you have any pictures? Ideas? Color names????

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I actually like the rosy color behind your lamp and couch.

Light blue should work fine, what I'd do is prime the wall in white (going to have to to block out that green) and then get a bunch of those little tester bottles of paint and paint large squares of light blue and let them dry (tape the paint name on the square) then as you see how they actually look with your lighting decide which are suddenly horrible ("wow, there's a lot of, um yellow in that blue, isn't there??
") and which are reasonable.

Get it down to 3-6ish that are all viable and roll a die or do a series of coin tosses.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would suggest a shade of yellow. However soft or bright you want to go. I like the colour blue but I find it hard to *live* with. I can't explain why, it just feels dark and depressing... and I'm happily sitting in a brown living room as I type this.
I had a blue living room for 3 years and once I painted over it the room just felt so much brighter and happier. Same with my parents living room. Maybe it depends on the light, I don't know.

Anyways, I painted my medium blue walls yellow with one wall a deep berry red. Worked great. This was in a previous home (just so you don't get confused.
)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Can you do one big wall in an accent color, and the rest in a tamer color? I have always been a fan of that.

Truthfully, orange looks great against a nice sage green, or even a greyish blue instead of a BLUE blue, kwim?

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
i think a light sky blue would look awesome with your couch & lamp. our 'library' is sky blue with white trim, with dark wood (piano, cedar chest), natural pine book shelves, and a rust-orange stained glass thing. i think the 70s orange looks amazing with sky blue. it's a great combination. it's light and fresh.

i couldn't find any pics of that room, but the back wall in this photo is almost the exact same color (side wall is a way deeper blue)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spontan...on/4068994759/

we also live with (and love!) this bright, ocean blue in our back entry way and a hallway:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spontan...on/4089826558/

this photo shows my living room wall and front entryway, which are gold and orange, but there are photos with some blue . . . just trying to illustrate how great blue, orange & yellow/gold can be together!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spontan...on/4327427007/

eta: if you want a bright blue rather than a grayish blue, i would lean toward an aqua color to avoid ending up with a smurfy look.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I like green - that being said, green can be tricky. All colors tend to "shift" how they look depending on time of day, windows, lightbulbs, etc - but I think green tends to shift more than others. I would DEFINITELY invest in one of those little color sample thingies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.