Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea that we've used since ds started using a carseat that is always in the car (ie, not a bucket).

It really makes the whole coat on or coat off concerns moot! Leave the coats off and stored elsewhere in the car and try this!!

We live in an area that is frequently in the single digits or below zero for long periods. We have a garage and live in a rural area, so I can always run the car for a few minutes with the heater on high to warm things before we get in the car. This idea is makes it even nicer!

I bought one of those microwave gel packs at Wal-Mart, in the first aid aisle. It is around 10" x 14" (I think. It's large anyway!).

Warm it up in the micro for 3-4 minutes and then put it in the carseat while you are doing the final getting-things-ready-to-go part of daily living. You don't even need to have the car running (if you live in an area that would prevent this).

When it's time to put your munchkin(s) in the carseat(s), remove the pack(s) and VOILA, instant warm carseat! It will really keep them warm a long time and is nice when the rest of the car still needs to warm up.

Ds loves to snuggle with his after it comes off the carseat. When he was younger, I'd cover him with a light blanket, slip the pack into another flannel cover I'd made and then another heavier blanket over that. Warm on his bottom and warm on his top! Now, at age 8, he just snuggles with it without the blankets.

If you don't want a gel pack, you could always use a hot water bottle instead. Just don't leave it in the car if it will be below freezing as the ice formation could rupture the rubber! That's why the gel pack is nice as it can be used either hot or cold.

By the way, I also have packs for our front seats. Adult bottoms get cold, too!

These packs are nice to take the chill off the sheets before bed, too!!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
That is an excellent idea. And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for spelling voila correctly.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
You can easily MAKE something that will do this same function. In fact, a young child could make it (with a little supervision).

Take a men's (or large size boy's) tube sock. Put rice in it and tie a knot near the top. If you want, you can put another sock over it to help keep it clean (or start off with two socks, one inside the other). Then just take the outer sock off, wash it, and put it back on.

Zap in the microwave for about 3 minutes (less for smaller socks). And voila! Instant, portable heat that lasts about an hour (or longer when in bed).

These are great for sore muscles, heating up carseats, and chasing the chill from the bed. I take one to bed most nights in winter - icy feet don't stand a chance.

Be careful and don't burn anyone. These smell slightly the first few times you use them, sort of like, well, rice. If you want to cover that smell, include a few sprigs of herbs (rosemary, lavender, etc) in with the rice. I don't mind the smell.

Eventually, the rice will have to be replaced. But it lasts many many uses before that happens.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My friend told me about a corn baby that is similiar to the rice in the sock. The website has a few different types of corn-filled bags that can be used as heating pads or cold packs. It says they stay warm for 2 hours. I ordered one, but haven't tried it yet. Just a warning, it says not recommended for children. I am going to use it to warm up my baby's carseat, then keep her warm in the car on freezing days. I think you just have to be careful not to heat it up too much (and make sure they can't get it open!)

http://www.cornbaby.bigstep.com/

They are on sale for around $12 plus shipping. There are no chemicals in the corn! The outfits are washable. I will repost after I use my corn baby pig.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Are there any seat warmer options that don't involve a microwave (which I don't own). I imagine a rice sock in the oven is a no-no!
Use a hot water bottle instead. The red rubber/vinyl-type, available just about everywhere and not expensive. I used them before I bought the gel packs.

I made flannel covers for mine (that rubber can get very hot against bare skin!) and after letting it sit on the seat cushion for a bit, I would lay it on my lap (over the seatbelt) while driving. Kept me very toasty!!

I also put a couple of fleece throws int he dryer before we are going out in the Winter and then ds can have those covering him, if he wants. I always warm the car before we go anywhere if it is very cold (today it is -15 here at our house with a slight breeze, probably a wind chill of -23!!). Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
OK, I used my corn baby pig as a heat pack and I loved it! I warmed it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and it stayed warm for about 2 hours! Since it is supposed to be only 22 tomorrow, we are going to use it to warm up DD's carseat in the morning before we go out! Its cool!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts