Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under Family Safety but had no replies. So I thought I would post here as well. If it shouldn't be here I understand if it needs to be moved. Thank you.<br><br>
DH's family owns a beautiful piece of property in the country. However, the road the property is on has a lot of turns which makes the entrance into property almost hidden. You can't see people approaching into the property until they are right at the entrance. To add to the safety concern, there is a little bridge that goes over a stream that you must cross immediately after getting off the road.<br><br>
It is a great place for DD to explore and have all kinds of outdoor fun but the driveway situation always has me worried while we are there. We have a certain bush that we tell DD she can't go past and we are always with her but my MIL insists on taking DD onto the bridge to watch the water (even though there are plenty of other locations much safer on the property to watch the water).<br><br>
So, to alleviate me worrying and conflict with my MIL I was thinking about putting up a driveway safety net. I did research on the popular Kid Kushion one but I couldn't find too many others. Does anyone use one of these? DH was concerned about the retractable ones because he said that it could potentially just be something to break. I'd even be interested if someone has created a DIY version of a driveway safety net.<br><br>
The idea is to prevent cars from coming in the driveway too fast since they're not easily seen and to prevent DD from going on the bridge which is close to the road.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm not sure I am understanding. Couldn't your DD just go around the net?<br><br>
In order to keep cars from coming up the driveway at a fast clip, you could get one of those yellow "Children at Play" signs. They look like wet floor signs and stand on their own. Pop one in the middle of the driveway.<br><br>
But I'm not sure how you could prevent her from going down the driveway.... other than a fence.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Is the goal to stop dd or the cars. 'Cause if it's the cars you could simply put one of those wide swinging gates that are intended for driveways & are much more durable than that safety net looks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to explain better. This property is on a very curvy country road. The entrance to the property comes off the road at an angle into a wooded area. Only a few yards of the main road you have to cross a small homemade one car bridge which has a stream running under it and then it opens into the full property (it's not a long driveway at all, DH says about 10 yards).<br><br>
We can't put a permanent gate there because it isn't our property. We are looking for something removable and portable for when we are there with DD. We would put this gate on the inside of the bridge where it opens into the large piece of property to prevent DD from being on the bridge (where she could fall into the rocky stream below) or go out into the road which is only a few yards from the edge of the bridge as well as to prevent cars from coming in the driveway and over the bridge too fast. The gate would span the bridge and there is no way DD could go around it (it's the only entrance/exit into the property). The gate would only be a deterrent, DH and I are supervising DD constantly while we are there. I hope that's a little clearer.<br><br>
I really appreciate the responses but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on the safety nets because we don't have any experience with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts