Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm looking for suggestions for a good-tasting (and to me, plain or 'natural' yoghurt does not qualify as good tasting) yoghurt that is completely free of all dairy.

And to complicate matters - it MUST be available in Ontario, Canada.

Alternatively, an easy and cheap recipe for making my own would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - but how do I make yoghurt ?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Is Silk or WholeSoy available in Canada?

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've seen a few silk products before. WholeSoy doesn't sound familiar though.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Making yogurt is very easy, especially when using canned coconut milk. Here's a simple rundown, though you can search this forum for many more detailed posts.

You'll need about a quart of coconut milk and a package of starter, all at slightly above room temp (around 90-110 degrees F). Remove about a cup of the coconut milk and mix in the starter, then add this back to the rest of the coconut milk. Mix/shake well. (You might want to heat the coconut milk before using, like with dairy yogurt, but I never do, as the coconut milk that comes in cans has already been heat processed and should not have anything growing in it that you don't want there.)

Now, at this point, there are several ways to continue, but I'll give you the one I use ... I have replaced the lightbulb in my oven with a sixty watt bulb. I turn the light in the oven on about a half an hour before I start. Then, after I've mixed the starter into the coconut milk, I just pop it in the oven and close the door -- my oven stays at a consistent temp of 100-110 degrees F, so I can just walk away and leave it for 4-6 hours and come back to yogurt. However, you may want to use a thermometer to test your oven temp and the yogurt temp, as I know some people need to wrap their yogurt container in a towel to maintain the proper heat. (Also, you can do this with the pilot light lit, from what I've read, if you have a gas stove/oven.)

Another on-the-cheap method is to put the yogurt container into a cooler, pour in hot water, then wrap the cooler in towels to keep in the heat. I've never tried that one, personally, but I know many people who make yogurt this way.

Also, if you want to skip the whole hassle of trying to maintain the proper temp via guesswork, Lehman's sells a product called a Yogotherm which is basically a little styrofoam cooler wrapped around a yogurt pot. Very handy.

HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts