Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a meeting with DD's charter school this Friday to come up with an IEP. (She is almost 7 and in first.) The school is not very on the ball (though our state mandates gifted IEPs) and is likely to come into this with some vague, brief cookie-cutter language. They are not very interested in accommodating DD and have been pretty unhelpful generally. I have good reason not to want to tangle with them too much, though, and am more interested in pursuing accommodations with individual teachers than mandating it with administration, so I don't want to come in with a huge list of demands. However, I would like SOMEthing on the books that's half-decent, as well as clear and simple.<br><br>
Also, we have to submit a copy of this IEP for DD's application to the gifted magnet (50% acceptance rate) that she may or may not transfer to next year. I don't know what to aim for in regards to that.<br><br>
I know nothing about IEPs, basically. I have seen a few for giftedness and can't imagine DD's school producing anything like them. As of right now, she is in the highest reading group (doing late 2nd/early 3rd grade work, I'd say--she could easily do more, but this is not terrible) and does some advanced workbooks during independent work time. Her teacher also encourages her to write longer and more complex writing assignments and helps her with that. That's it. To complicate matters further, we do not have her IQ test scores in hand and will not till we get into the meeting. (She was tested using the SAGES-2: <a href="http://www4.parinc.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=SAGES-2" target="_blank">http://www4.parinc.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=SAGES-2</a> and met the district criteria for giftedness; I think she may also than have had another IQ test. You can see how great thier communication skills are.).<br><br>
I would love suggestions for some BASIC language that still does have some teeth. She really could use accommodation in spelling, reading and especially math. We really don't know if she will stay at this school or not. FWIW, a gifted pull-out program does exist but will not start till 2nd. I know next to nothing about it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some determined detetcive work, I have tracked down the basic IEP form for giftedness used by our district, which lists basic boilerplate goals and objectives. It's...odd, but will give us a starting point. I don't want to post it here but can supply it via PM if anyone is willing to look at it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
<p>How did it go?</p>

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it was...interesting. The school district here has a boilerplate IEP for giftedness with 5 goal areas and multiple objectives per goal. Standard practice is to choose two goals with two objectives each. The school had already written up the IEP without us (illegal...about the 13th state law they've broken) and all 4 of DD's "gifted IEP goals" are about socioemotional things, not academics. Basically, she is supposed to learn to listen better to others, cope better with change, and accept failure. Yeah, so does that sound like a gifted IEP? I didn't think so.<br><br>
The only thing I can say is that the principal at least talked a good game in terms of the in-class enrichment DD is supposedly getting. If what she says is true, the situation is a fair bit better than I thought. But frankly, I don't know if it is true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts