Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to brainstorm some activities my son (7) and I could do on the computer together. He LOVES Minecraft and I am doing better at getting into it (didn't like it at all at first) and playing with him occasionally. However, I'd like to introduce him to some other ways he and I can enjoy and utilize computer technology.

Obviously we could find other games (suggestions are welcome) but I was also thinking of something like photo and video editing (again specific suggestions welcome). And that is where my brainstorm ended. There have to be other things we could do together. Obviously I need some development of my computer tech skills. ;-) I'm seeing this as something we can do together when his younger brother naps. Then he can continue working on things we've learned when he's on his own as well.

Oh, and he is NOT reading yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Maybe a Wacom Intuos pen-tablet and some drawing/painting software like the bundled ArtRage Studio app.

Digital photography and photo-editing is a great idea.

You could see if he enjoys Scratch, a visual programming environment designed for kids. Reading is an asset with this, but things are colour-coded and shape-coded too so I think a pre-literate kid could actually do a lot independently. Add a bit of parental assistance with reading the tutorials and I'll bet he could really soar.

Miranda

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a Wacom Intuos pen-tablet and some drawing/painting software like the bundled ArtRage Studio app.

Digital photography and photo-editing is a great idea.

You could see if he enjoys Scratch, a visual programming environment designed for kids. Reading is an asset with this, but things are colour-coded and shape-coded too so I think a pre-literate kid could actually do a lot independently. Add a bit of parental assistance with reading the tutorials and I'll bet he could really soar.

Miranda
Thank you Miranda. I'll be checking into all of these.

Cassandra

1 - 3 of 3 Posts