Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is asking for a laptop for xmas and we can't find one that we like...here is what we are looking for:

Good quality
Realistic look
Large screen...the screens are so small on most.
Something that will be user friendly for kids as young as 3. She uses the preschool computer games on-line pretty well so something similar to that...

I don't mind spending a little extra because outside of another baby and a "real" cat that she won't be getting this is all she really asked for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you want something really realistic (which she will be able to use as she grows) and are willing to combine it with some charitable giving this season, then you may want to look at the One Laptop per Child computers (http://www.amazon.com/One-Laptop-per...8402197&sr=8-4. It runs on Linux, has wireless internet access and is built for children, so is durable. For the listed price, you get one laptop to keep and a second one is donated to a child in a developing country.

Our DD is already accustomed to our own laptops, so the other types of children's "laptop" would nto interest her. This is typically much more than I would consider spending on her, but I feel it is also for a good cause, so am thinking hard about it...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
What do you mean by "realistic look"?

If you travel a lot, I'd get a portable for her. But otherwise, why not a stationery computer? You can get a used mac or PC for cheap. DS and DD got my hand-me-down, a G3 mac, a used monitor and keyboard. The only thing I changed was the mouse. I found DS could learn a one button mouse much easier than the one we originally had on the pc. He was proficient with it early, before his 2nd birthday. Anyway, both DS and DD love it and use it to watch movies and play on pbs, starfall....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
If you want something really realistic (which she will be able to use as she grows) and are willing to combine it with some charitable giving this season, then you may want to look at the One Laptop per Child computers (http://www.amazon.com/One-Laptop-per...8402197&sr=8-4. It runs on Linux, has wireless internet access and is built for children, so is durable. For the listed price, you get one laptop to keep and a second one is donated to a child in a developing country.

Our DD is already accustomed to our own laptops, so the other types of children's "laptop" would nto interest her. This is typically much more than I would consider spending on her, but I feel it is also for a good cause, so am thinking hard about it...
This is what I considered for my 2 year old daughter..... I have seen it in persona & love it! The only reason we decided not to get it was because our dd is so young and we are already trying to wean her off on the TV so we can't really add more screen time to her day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.