Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a quick history. My mom has an autoimmune disease and has other health issues. She has tried eating a high quality vegan diet before to help her, but she can't get past the "detox." I know that she believes it's healthy, and I am totally convinced it can help her (I think she believes it as well). Unfortunately, every time she tries it, the detox period is just too darn hard on her. She gets really, really weak from the intestinal "nasties." I am emailing Dr. McDougall to see if he has any ideas, but I thought I would see if any of you all have any ideas for me to pass on.

I'm thinking that if she tries it in stages, it might be easier. You know - cut out eggs, then reduce meat consumption (she doesn't eat a whole lot now), then reduce dairy all while slowly adding in less processed foods (whole grains) and more veggies. Now, my mom eats a lot healthier than your average American. She doesn't rely on a whole lot of processed foods, eats a lot of fruits and veggies, etc. Unfortunately, her system is super sensitive. Maybe there are some teas or something that she could use while transitioning to help. I don't know. I'm researching like crazy, so any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I would start by totally elimating dairy. It is my understanding that it is the worst culprit in autoimmune issues compared to meat or eggs. Then, she can reduce the other two at a pace that she is comfortable with. Good luck. I hope she feels better.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's true - dairy is horrible on the immune system. Unfortunately, I THINK that is the thing that really does her in. Now, I may be wrong because she sort of went at it all cold turkey. I'm probably relying on my own experience too much - I know that when I've been eating dairy and then quit cold turkey I have the "nasties" for a few days until I get it out of my system. She just gets so darn weak when she detoxes. Even when her acupuncturists gives her a "detox" it is awful on her. Honestly though - more than anything else - I'd love to see her get the dairy out of her diet.

What do you guys think about veggies? Specifically raw vs. cooked veggies on a person's transitioning system? Do you think one is easier on your body than the other - does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
What do you mean by nasties? When I went veg I never had any negative effects, just felt much more energetic etc immediately.

I wonder if taking some enzymes might help to clean up the toxes as they enter the blood from the tissues.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nasties = diarrhea-ish type poop and the icky feeling in your intestines that goes along with it. Be glad you didn't get it!

What kind of enzymes would you suggest?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
My allergist told me when I stopped eating the things I am allergic to, I would feel kind of icky and probably crave it. I did. It can take weeks to get dairy out of your system.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cooked veggies for sure! While raw is more nutritous cooked is much easier to digest. In fact in healing with chinese medicine it is suggested that you don't eat any raw veggies as it is too much on a system that is already taxed.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
When my son was dealing with allergies we put him on a German herb called Iberogast. It helped to heal and settle his tummy. He was only 8 months old but he was one sick little boy. We also gave him probiotics every day. We got them obth at Whole Foods. I switched to eating veggie two weeks ago. I've had a lot of the same bloating feeling and liquid poops. I figured it was just all the toxins working their way out of my body. I still eat eggs and dairy though. I also have an autoimmune disorder, arthritus. And I have diabetes and high blood pressure. I'm trying to get off all the drugs I've been taking for a couple of years now. I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm thinking about trying yoga also to help heal from the inside out. Hope your mom feels better.

Kathi

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Megan - I didn't know that about Chinese medicine. I'll look into it more - thanks. The thing that has helped my mom the most is acupuncture, so she is a big believer in Chinese medicine.

Kathi - I'll do some research on that herb - thanks. My mom would like to do yoga. Unfortunately, she would have to do a REALLY modified version of it, so she needs to find an instructor who is skilled in working with disabled individuals. I hope you feel better! Good luck.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
Nasties = diarrhea-ish type poop and the icky feeling in your intestines that goes along with it. Be glad you didn't get it!
Yuck! Sorry to hear about that.

Quote:

What kind of enzymes would you suggest?
I'm not an expert, you might want to find someone who knows what they're talking about. But Futurebiotics has a Veg. Enzyme product that has a mix. I take it when I overeat, like Thanksgiving, or when my stomach is upset. I think sometimes enzymes are recommended when the toxin level is very high. I don't know how that might interact with autoimmunity, if it would.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've taken to drinking kombucha and I have noticed great de-tox effects. I just started making my own, but have been buying it in the store. It's got pro-biotics, amino acids, and enzymes and is just great.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Kathi - I'll do some research on that herb - thanks. My mom would like to do yoga. Unfortunately, she would have to do a REALLY modified version of it, so she needs to find an instructor who is skilled in working with disabled individuals. I hope you feel better! Good luck.
Yeah if I do yoga it will have to be very very modified as well. That's part of the reason I haven't started as yet. I think it would be a good thing to help as I continue to make healthy changes in my life.

Kathi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts