Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for what my 8 year old should be watching on TV. I only allow TV for 1-2 hours on the weekend so I'm trying to find some shows which are entertaining and also educational and where hopefully she won't pick up any sass! She's still watching Sophia and Im thinking she's a bit old for it...

·
Registered
738 Posts
why so little time?

Netflix et al is good for commercial free time in discrete blocks you can watch anytime, or stuff on disc (from the library?) It really depends on her interests.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My DD really likes Odd Squad. It's an educational math show on pbs that's really funny. Pretty sure it would still be good at 8.

Honestly I'm finding it really hard to find decent shows beyond preschool age. I'd love to hear other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The only things

I could think of are probably not that interesting to kids now (stuff I would watch when I was a kid) like Little House on the Prairie or Anne of Green Gables. The Muppets and Fraggle Rock were sort of geared to that age group too, I think, and I used to watch Vision On which was about making arts and crafts. My son was probably watching stuff like Scooby Doo or Batman (animated), plus documentaries, I can't clearly remember, but I know he wasn't into "emotional" or social situations drama (like some girls are). We probably watched Mythbusters, The Discovery Channel (How it's made?), Spongebob... Are kids that age too old for Magic Schoolbus? My son loved historical stories and when he was little we watched a TON of videos on space exploration. I feel like we watched a lot of "Eye Witness" documentaries, that probably don't exist anymore. There was a TV show about a (fictional) dinosaur park (a pseudocumentary).

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Little House on the Prairie
The Waltons

Fraggle Rock

Liberty's kids
Reading Rainbow

Bill Nye Science guy
any critter show by Kratt brothers Zoboomafoo, Kratt's creatures

Voyagers! an oldie but a goodie

·
Registered
530 Posts
Our kids get very limited screen time too. We call it "movie day" and on Fridays they get to watch a video. We try not to let them watch many things that come in "episodes" and encourage movies or documentaries. We most often use a Roku and watch things from Amazon or Netflix, but the kids will watch right on the computer too if it's not a Roku-able thing. We set up the screen at the end of a bed so they're not 2 feet from it.

I'm going to look for the Waltons and Little House - I like the idea of finding oldies but goodies. I've read research that even "educational" TV these days can be so fragmented and fast-paced that it fosters short attention spans. I'll have to go back to try to find that, but even Sesame Street today moves around faster than Sesame Street of the 1970's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cosmos
the science show hosted by Neil DrGrasse Tyson

It's a very visually stunning and educational show about various scientific theories and facts. Just be warned: it's not just for kids; you might get hooked as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Project Mc2 is presently in its 2nd season on Netflix. It has all the pop culture stuff girls like while being empowering and educational. My dd has plastered the show's slogan "Smart is the new cool" everywhere. She requested some of the dolls and toys from the show. I've always refused to allow Barbies in the house; but couldn't say now to these dolls that come with their own science experiments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts