Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a venison roast (small ~1.5 lbs) thawing in some tomato sauce & herbs/spices.<br><br>
Any suggestions for how to roast it? 350 for 1.5 hrs?<br><br>
Should I rinse the tomato off and brown it first (after it thaws)? Will it be awful if I don't brown it before I roast it?<br><br>
I have celery, carrot, onion, potato to add.<br><br>
I've never done a roast, let alone a venison roast.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I make a game roast, I put it in the crock pot (or in a low 250 oven in a heavy pot with lid) with some watered down salad dressing like roasted garlic and cook it on low for 5-8 hours. For the last hour I put in the veggies.<br>
With all game, depending on the cut, low and slow with lots of liquid is usually a sure bet. For the better cuts, steaks and such, high heat and very quick keeps the moisture in.<br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The crock pot is a good idea. Otherwise, could you possibly sear (sp?) the meat in a frying pan before roasting it? That would help keep the juices in.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the recipes online were telling me to sear - unfortunately, the meat was already marinating in a tomato sauce (still partially frozen). So, I was faced with the dilema as to whether I should rinse off the meat, wait for it to thaw, THEN sear it...and the crockpot was busy with chicken stock.<br><br>
Thanks, littlehawksmom, for the cooking time & temp. Here's what I ended up doing, which turned out great:<br><br>
I put spices & herbs into some leftover tomato soup (~2/4 cup) and put this on top of the frozen meat. I poured ~1 cup of cider around it, and added:<br>
sea salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, rosemary. PUt it in the over at 250 at about 2:30pm. Upped the temp around 5pm, in small increments. Added large pieces of carrot, onion and potato. Around 6, I put the temp at 350. We ate at 7pm.<br><br>
The meat was so tender, the vegetables were perfectly done...It was really good. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts