Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p><span style="display:none;"> </span><span style="display:none;"> </span>DS is 16 months old and <em>only</em> uses a pacifier for naps and bedtime; meaning he gets them when he's in his crib and before he gets out he has to surrender them, which he does happily!  He is quite attached to his binkies for sleeping though; I sometimes think they are his loveys.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know he'll need to give them up sometime, but I'm not sure when to do this.  For one, we are expecting baby #2.  I thought about explaining that his new baby brother or sister will need the binkies and he needs to give them up, but he'll only be 21 months old and I doubt he'll understand; he may even resent the new baby. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>When is a good time to give up the binkie at this point?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
<p>Our pediatrician told us three.  I don't think there is any good reason to rush it.  She said it doesn't begin to affect teeth or anything before then. </p>

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
<p>I would say whenever your child is ready. My ds didn't give his up until he was over 4. We had some limits but he just wasn't ready before that.</p>

·
Registered
88 Posts
<p>We had the paci at just bedtime and one night we forgot it...And so did she.  The next night, we didn't offer it, and she didn't ask for it.  Had she asked for it either the night we forgot it or the next night, we would have given it back.  I think it was just a happy coincidence, and total proof positive that they will forget it when they are ready.  I wouldn't stress about it, and your DS may need the comfort of it when the new baby comes. </p>

·
Registered
791 Posts
<p>i just asked this of my pediatrician as well, cause DS, 14months is the same way - only at naps and night (well, except for the occasional in the grocery store meltdown). I really felt like he needed to be 'off' the pacifier. But health-wise, it's apparently not a huge issue for their mouths, so said the ped. And I've got to admit that since both myself and DP were thumb suckers, there's something to say for a little sucking. If it's not unhealthy, why not allow it, at least to sleep with? Or at least, that's where I'm trying to go with my brain. I don't want him to have it in the middle of the day - I want to see his face! And for him to find other soothers and happiness during the day. But to sleep? Eh, I think they'll be fine for a while.</p>

·
Registered
68 Posts
<p>I am happy to read this as my eighteen month old still uses hers for nightime and naps.  She has also been asking for it during the day these last two days because she is teething and has a cold.  I was feeling anxious about her teeth, her mouth, her speech...   YAY, one less thing to worry about.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts