Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br>
Are there any aspiring midwives, doula's or birth junkies out there who are currently involved in a study group?<br><br>
We have been trying to get one together here, I am just in it for the learning opportunity - but my friend Robin is set to take her state exam in August and really needs to get down to business on her studying.<br><br>
THe problem is, we can't seem to come up with a good format to make us feel like we are accomplishing much - so we have not had much luck getting the ball rolling.<br><br>
I'd love to hear from anyone out there about how you run (or ran) your study groups, and suggestions for making the most of our limited time together. Robin has seven children and her husband is not too supportive of her midwifery goals. I really want to do everything in my power to help her prepare.<br><br>
Thanks so much,<br>
Jeanette

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
We have a study group here and it is a lifesaver! What we do is set a topic for every month and then have a speaker, have some handouts and discuss it. We're lucky in that we have many seasoned midwives who are willing to speak. Anyone who wants to can ask questions on any subject and then we share a lot of case studies which are always fascinating. We've done IV, charting, prenatal, pelvic floor, all kinds of workshops.<br><br>
Is she getting ready to sit the NARM or is it something else? For the NARM I have been told to study Varney's, especially the nutritional info and the herbal section of Holistic Midwifery. Maybe you could all assign yourselves sections of the books, make outlines, and then present the important parts to the rest of the group.<br><br>
Amy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts