Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well my husband smokes quite a bit. He has tried a few different things to quit like the patch, gum, antidepressants, etc, but nothing has really helped him. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might help? Are there any homeopathic remedies that are used specifically to help you quit smoking? Or any other types of treatments? I am open to any suggestions!! Thanks everyone!

Jen

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Honestly, he just needs to be ready to quit. I tried every "aid" in the book too, but I wasn't able to quit until this past July. Why did I quit in July? I promised DH that I would quit when my wisdom teeth got taken out and I didn't want to disappoint him. Besides, I figured I wouldn't be able to eat (so no worries about gaining weight from falling on that as a crutch), I'd already be grouchy, tired and out of it- sounds like as good a time as any to me!
I tried Lobelia (an herb) when I was trying to quit once. It supposedly blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain. I made my longest quit, previous to this one, on Lobelia- one week.
Hope he manages to quit soon.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I NEVER endorse pharma drugs. I won't even take Tylenol but I tried a drug called Champix to quit smoking and it worked. I think it's called Chantix in the States. I took it for 3 months and I have been quit for over a year with no desire to smoke again. Look into it. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum View Post
I NEVER endorse pharma drugs. I won't even take Tylenol but I tried a drug called Champix to quit smoking and it worked. I think it's called Chantix in the States. I took it for 3 months and I have been quit for over a year with no desire to smoke again. Look into it. Good luck!!
In case you're not aware, Chantix has been shown to cause serious psychiatric problems. I would recommend against it. There is a class action lawsuit occurring at present for this.
For anyone else who might be looking at resources to quit smoking, I will mention also that my ND strongly recommends acupuncture.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I know a few people that got the lazer thing done, and it worked! THese where hardcore 2 pack a day smokers! I work in a bar, and EVERYONE smokes, but these people are still going stong as nonsmokers for 3 years now!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
When my mom quit, after many, many unsuccessful attempts over the years, the biggest changes were that she was much less stressed (she was retired) and because she'd been retired a couple years and had really rested, some of her low-level health issues (like adrenal fatigue and untreated hypothyroidism) had eased up (or the hypo turned to Graves and she did RAI and was on synthroid, but at least it was a thyroid supp vs just being fatigued)--that was sorta long, but the point was, if there are underlying stresses, physical, emotional or situational, addressing those and supporting them was a biggie for my mom.

Best of luck to your husband!!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
In case you're not aware, Chantix has been shown to cause serious psychiatric problems. I would recommend against it. There is a class action lawsuit occurring at present for this.
For anyone else who might be looking at resources to quit smoking, I will mention also that my ND strongly recommends acupuncture.
For me it worked like an anti-depressent. After the initial week, when I was more tired than I had been in years, it seemed to help my mood a lot too and has made quitting go much smoother.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all.. I do think antidepressants would be an option if the natural treatments didnt work.. I didnt mention that my husband did take wellbutrin years ago which was helping until he broke out in hives from it! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
Hi all. Well my husband smokes quite a bit. He has tried a few different things to quit like the patch, gum, antidepressants, etc, but nothing has really helped him. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might help? Are there any homeopathic remedies that are used specifically to help you quit smoking? Or any other types of treatments? I am open to any suggestions!! Thanks everyone!

Jen
Quitting smoking is not a hard task now. There are various ways to quit smoking like medical treatment, artificial aids, hypnosis and other aids, etc. It gives immediate as well as long-term benefits. Visit this site: http://smokingharms.com/ where I acquired a lot of information about quitting smoking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.