Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worry that if I don't leave out a visual reminder, I'll forget to finish something. For instance, if the baby cries while I'm paying bills, I leave the bills out. Unfortunately, by the time the baby's cared for it may be time to take the toddler outside or start supper. That is just one of many examples and I end up with these "reminders" laying about the house...adding to the clutter. Actually, paying bills is a poor example, because I will get that finished. It's the other projects...like, putting the numerous articles/recipes I tear out of magazines or print off of the internet into a binder...that end up laying around the house so I don't forget to finish them. How does everyone else handle that? To Do List?

· Registered
5,550 Posts
I have a dry erase board calendar. It is huge and is hanging in the hallway between the living room and the kitchen- so I see it 100 times a day. It is big enough to write my To Dos on as well as appointments, etc.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
I also find myself being a bit forgetful, too! I did find that putting a list down really did help. I had two lists one paper: One for things on the computer (sites I needed to visit, emails or whatnot) and then one for things around the house.

When I had some down time, I looked at that list, did what needed to be done and then crossed it off. Seemed to help!

· Registered
704 Posts
I keep a journal book on my nightstand, so at the end of a hectic day, I sit back, relax, and write down my to-do's, that way I can go to bed with a clear head without thoughts of the coming day keeping me up. I usually prioritize on it what can be done while ds is around, and what can only be done while he's napping, so I make the most of the precious nap time.

· Registered
369 Posts
I'd say a To Do list, yep. Or something like it.

For some reason, a regular list never quite worked for me. I think because it gets marked up and then I want to rewrite it and I don't, and eventually i give up.

I've just started using a computerized To Do system, which works because my computer is almost always up and available. I'm using OmniFocus, which is written to support GTD (David Allen's Getting Things Done), but also works as just a To Do list.

If a computer solution doesn't seem quite right and a list doesn't work, you could try something like index cards in a box, so that you can write each reminder on an index card, toss it in the box, go through them periodically, and toss cards as you get the tasks done. I guess this is pretty much the In Box part of the GTD system, without the other parts. If you sometimes find yourself leaving something out until you get to the box to write the reminder, you could have multiple packages of cards and boxes, so that one's always handy wherever you are.

Crayfish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.