Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFSP Supports Third Year Appropriations for the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act<br><br>
Contact Your Senator to Urge Support<br><br>
Suicide is currently the third leading cause of death among Americans 15–24 years old, and the second leading cause of death among college students.<br><br>
With this in mind, AFSP, along with other suicide prevention organizations, are calling for the maximum appropriation authorized under the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act to support a third year of adolescent and college student suicide prevention initiatives across the country.<br><br>
As part of the fiscal year 2008 budget now pending before Congress, a bipartisan coalition of senators — led by Sens. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.) and Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) — are seeking full funding for youth suicide prevention programs under the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act.<br><br>
AFSP is asking that you contact your U.S. senators and ask them sign on to the Dodd-Smith letter urging $40 million for the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act for FY 2008 for these important suicide prevention programs. Please act today as the deadline for signing on to this letter is Wednesday, April 25.<br><br>
The Garret Lee Smith Memorial Act is in memory of Sen. Smith’s son, who died by suicide. AFSP, the Suicide Prevention Action Network USA, the American Association of Suicidology, the Jed Foundation and other mental health organizations played a role in the development of this legislation and continue to advocate for its full funding.<br><br>
To find and contact the senators in your state, go to the Senate homepage <a href="http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm</a><br><br>
This is what I wrote:<br>
I am writing to ask you to please sign on to the Dodd-Smith letter urging $40 million for the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act for FY 2008 for important youth suicide prevention initiatives across the country.<br><br>
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
As someone with a history of suicidal thoughts I strongly believe that the very best prevention of suicide is strengthening the family, particulary the parent/child bonds. I wonder how many of these young people had situations similar to mine, never feeling accepted or listened to by their parents, just kind of overlooked for years on end until there's nothing left but tired hopelessness until finally there is no feeling at all. Just emptiness. This is one reason I think AP and GD are so important, I want to create those bonds early with my kids.<br><br>
Anyhow just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for posting! suicide prevention is one of the things I care about since I've lost 3 friends to suicide. If I was the one planning the programs I'd include your ideas! And I'll keep it in mind for the future too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When the hell is someone whos friend/family member didnt die from something gonna start a foundation for it? Like Chris Reeve. Didnt care about cripples till he was one. What an ass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts