Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
Well, I wouldn't want a child molester living next door. However, even if he didn't live next door, that doesn't mean that their children would be totally safe playing outside, yk? I think the "new" safety rules the parents have come up with are good, and should be implemented even if there wasn't a child molester next door.

If that were to happen to me, I'd make sure I was extra vigilant, and probably get a large dog

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, I can't see how they could win.

I would probably move, but that's kinda foolish because as has been pointed out, we don't know that our neighbors are 'safe' either. Don't most child molesters have many, many victims before they're ever caught?

I second the large dog, and I think a privacy fence in the backyard is always a good idea. Anybody in a neighborhood should be locking their windows and doors at night, and watching their kids. They don't need to feel like prisoners.

Calpurnia, the thing that concerns me is the idea that a person can be a 'nuisance' just because of their very existence or their past, and action taken against them because they are a nuisance. Even if they are likely to offend again
...if they are out of jail then they have the right to move freely in their own yard and neighborhood, breathe, talk to the neighbors...

I totally sympathize with the family, but I don't think this lawsuit is right.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by townmouse
Calpurnia, the thing that concerns me is the idea that a person can be a 'nuisance' just because of their very existence or their past, and action taken against them because they are a nuisance. Even if they are likely to offend again
...if they are out of jail then they have the right to move freely in their own yard and neighborhood, breathe, talk to the neighbors...

I totally sympathize with the family, but I don't think this lawsuit is right.
Yeah. I worry that if today it's ok to do all this stuff to child molesters, then tomorrow it will be ok to do it to drug dealers, then users, and who knows where it stops. civil rights are for everyone, even if they are bad bad people. CIvil rights have got to apply to everyone.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beccaboomom
Civil rights should be for law abiding citizens not thugs and felons. Life for people that live outside the law should be made uncomfortable.
Boy where did you read THAT in the constitution?

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Civil rights should be for law abiding citizens not thugs and felons. Life for people that live outside the law should be made uncomfortable.
He is not living outside the law. He served his time and is now attempting, we have to assume, to be a law abiding citizen. How is he supposed to stop being a "thug & felon" if he can't even have a place to live?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Perhaps a review of the Bill of Rights might be helpful for some folks that don't seem to grasp their full implication?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...#Transcription

I actually don't have a problem with the family suing. They are working within the law. The law will have to determine if a convicted child molester is a nuisance. And I have ZERO sympathy for child molesters. But I could NOT let that statement go unchallenged.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gethane
Perhaps a review of the Bill of Rights might be helpful for some folks that don't seem to grasp their full implication?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...#Transcription

I actually don't have a problem with the family suing. They are working within the law. The law will have to determine if a convicted child molester is a nuisance. And I have ZERO sympathy for child molesters. But I could NOT let that statement go unchallenged.

There are two sets of conflicting interests in this situation. The child molester's right to live in his brother's house, and the children's right to play in their own backyard with some degree of security. I say, the kid's rights trump the child molester's rights. Let him go live in a retirement community; he has no business living around kids in the first place.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hey, as I said, I don't have a problem with the family suing. They are pursuing legal means to resolve the conflict.

I DID have a problem with the statement that civil rights are only for "some" people. That simply is NOT true according to the constitution.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
There are two sets of conflicting interests in this situation. The child molester's right to live in his brother's house, and the children's right to play in their own backyard with some degree of security. I say, the kid's rights trump the child molester's rights. Let him go live in a retirement community; he has no business living around kids in the first place.
So kids get molested at the grandparents house????? Really don't think moving him off is going to make anyone safer. Simply stupid to assume safety just because the registered sex offender moved.

Also couldn't this logic be applied to gay people? Some think they are nuisances. Or them Muslim's. Or homeschoolers. Or people with kids. Orut in a group.

Also, isn't Martha Stewart a felon? I guess we should lock them all up for ever.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
What makes you think they'd be any safer if he were not there? I raise my children as if every neighboor is a potential molester, because they are. We are very vigilant as every parent should be.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Quote:

and just to add...civil rights are for every one in this country, *including* people who aren't citizens.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahdokht
What makes you think they'd be any safer if he were not there? I raise my children as if every neighboor is a potential molester, because they are. We are very vigilant as every parent should be.
:

And just to reiterate...

"and just to add...civil rights are for every one in this country, *including* people who aren't citizens." (Sadie Sabot)

I think that bears repeating OVER AND OVER again until people understand... civil rights are NOT just for people "you" (the general YOU) deem "worthy". That is a mighty slippery slope that we need to stay far, far away from (unfortunately, Ashcroft et al did more damage in four years than any of us can even imagine...
)

Lo

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Actually felons do *not* have equal rights.

Felons do not have the right to bear arms...and in some states they do not have the right to vote.

This case does make me uncomfortable. It is so hard to not look at it from just a parent's perspective and think it right. I know it isn't, but well we all have that knee-jerk parents reaction in us and it is difficult to see past it sometimes.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You know, thinking about this a bit more, I think I'd actually almost RATHER know who the sex offender in the neighborhood is... I think if I found out it was my neighbor, I'd bake some cookies and take a little trip to his front door. Introduce myself. And in a friendly way let him (or her?) know that I know who they are and that I'm not going to tar and feather them, but that I *am* going to keep my eyeballs open WIDE for anything remotely out of the ordinary. Let him/her know that my kids are going to give them a WIDE berth and will NOT be speaking to them or interacting with them AT ALL (and if I see you so much as look sideways at my kid, I'm gonna rip your head off... well, that part I'd think, but probably not say!)

I mean, at least you KNOW who he is, right?? You can explain to your kids what the danger is and to avoid that man like the plague... you can't do that if you don't know who he is, kwim?

I could, however, be totally off my rocker... my ex bil is currently serving 18 years for molesting his daughter. He gets out in 7 more years. Don't think that I haven't fantasized about plastering his neighborhood with flyers warning parents of his past... I am human, after all

Lo

Oh, and Abimommy, ITA about the kneejerk reaction thing... I think that's normal... but we aren't talking about voting rights or the right to bear arms, we are talking about the very basic right to live in peace AFTER one has already paid their debt to society... sick as he is, he deserves a chance to live SOMEwhere, right? Although, I've also had dreams of a "pedophile community" perhaps somewhere in outer mongolia?? Well, maybe Detroit or Ypsilanti?? Somewhere that people tend to *not* want to live much... no offense to our Michigan mama's... those were just the first two places that jumped into my head when I thought... "Where would I *never* want to live?" Of course, Florida is also on that list for me... LOLOL...

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolov
Oh, and Abimommy, ITA about the kneejerk reaction thing... I think that's normal... but we aren't talking about voting rights or the right to bear arms, we are talking about the very basic right to live in peace AFTER one has already paid their debt to society... sick as he is, he deserves a chance to live SOMEwhere, right?

Yeah, I was just being literal.
He should be able to live SOMEwhere. But geez...it is kind of sad.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts