Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by townmouse
Calpurnia, the thing that concerns me is the idea that a person can be a 'nuisance' just because of their very existence or their past, and action taken against them because they are a nuisance. Even if they are likely to offend again
...if they are out of jail then they have the right to move freely in their own yard and neighborhood, breathe, talk to the neighbors...

I totally sympathize with the family, but I don't think this lawsuit is right.
Yeah. I worry that if today it's ok to do all this stuff to child molesters, then tomorrow it will be ok to do it to drug dealers, then users, and who knows where it stops. civil rights are for everyone, even if they are bad bad people. CIvil rights have got to apply to everyone.

· Registered
4,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beccaboomom
Civil rights should be for law abiding citizens not thugs and felons. Life for people that live outside the law should be made uncomfortable.
and just to add...civil rights are for every one in this country, *including* people who aren't citizens.

· Registered
4,581 Posts
On the question of civil rights: the thing is, the constitution of the US protects everyone within it's borders, regardless of status.

this is from lawcollective.org, and is written by a lawyer and very closely vetted for accuracy (I know this person and she is very very VERY careful about such things)

Quote:
Non-U.S. citizens who've been arrested for a crime have the rights to remain silent and to have a lawyer present during questioning. These rights are based on the Fifth and Sixth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and they protect everyone, citizens and non-citizens, adults and children. You have these rights even if you are "undocumented" or no longer have a valid visa.
So maybe it's not so much about civil rights, but that everyone is subject to, and protected by, the constitution, such as it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.